MicroFilter Question

Old January 12th 05, 10:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff W

Default MicroFilter Question

Hi there,

Am upgrading to BroadBand shortly and have a question about the
installation of microfilters.

BT master socket upstairs. Dect phone base station plugged into that.

2 extension sockets run downstairs. 1 to study and 1 to lounge.
Using the study socket for dial up access to be replaced by ASDL.
Lounge socket is currently unused.

Id like to keep dial up for occasional use from the study.

So am I right in assuming I need just 1 microfilter in the study to
split the ASDL router and modem? None upstairs or the unused socket?

TIA

Jeff

Old January 12th 05, 11:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Sobey

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 10:46:58 -0000, "Jeff W" wrote:

BT master socket upstairs. Dect phone base station plugged into that.

2 extension sockets run downstairs. 1 to study and 1 to lounge.
Using the study socket for dial up access to be replaced by ASDL.
Lounge socket is currently unused.

Id like to keep dial up for occasional use from the study.

So am I right in assuming I need just 1 microfilter in the study to
split the ASDL router and modem? None upstairs or the unused socket?

You'll need two - one for the modem and one for the DECT phone.
Remember that you need a filter where *any* device would normally plug
directly into the socket e.g. analogue modem, Sky box etc. Extensions
where there is no device does not need a filter.
Old January 12th 05, 11:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
fishman

Before I begin,
Please select Plain Text from the "Format" menu.

Now on with the point.
If you have a burglar alarm that's connected to the telephone line then that
can cause problems, especially if it's "hardwired" rather than plugged into
a socket.

Old January 12th 05, 11:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff W

"Richard Sobey" wrote in message
news [..]
You'll need two - one for the modem and one for the DECT phone.
Remember that you need a filter where *any* device would normally plug
directly into the socket e.g. analogue modem, Sky box etc. Extensions
where there is no device does not need a filter.

OK, and could I plug the ASDL router directly into the study socket if I
decided
I no longer need the modem access?

Old January 12th 05, 12:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Jeff W wrote:
"Richard Sobey" wrote in message
news [..]
You'll need two - one for the modem and one for the DECT phone.
Remember that you need a filter where *any* device would normally
plug directly into the socket e.g. analogue modem, Sky box etc.
Extensions where there is no device does not need a filter.

OK, and could I plug the ASDL router directly into the study socket
if I decided
I no longer need the modem access?

The official line is yes, but there are some people who insist you don't.
Personally I would, if for nothing else I have known ringing current to
knock a modem out of synch.....

Old January 12th 05, 12:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

fishman wrote:
Before I begin,
Please select Plain Text from the "Format" menu.

Now on with the point.
If you have a burglar alarm that's connected to the telephone line
then that can cause problems, especially if it's "hardwired" rather
than plugged into a socket.

You can get around that by using a SSFP & wiring on the back of that,
onlproblem then is that you won't be ablt to use ADSL from any other
socket...

Old January 12th 05, 12:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Jeff W wrote:

OK, and could I plug the ASDL router directly into the study socket
if I decided
I no longer need the modem access?

Yes, but you'd still probably need a BT to RJ11 adapter - 'cos most ADSL
router cables have an RJ11 plug on the end which won't plug straight into a
BT socket. The ADSL (unfiltered) outlet on a plug-in micro-filter is RJ11 -
so this is often a convenient (but not the only) way of getting an adapter -
even if you don't need the filtered outlet for any analog equipment.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old January 12th 05, 02:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 12 Jan 2005 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Tiscali Tim" wrote:

most ADSL router cables have an RJ11 plug on the end which won't
plug straight into a BT socket.

The last few DabsValue 4-port routers bought by a client of mine
have had two cords, one with a BT plug, the other RJ11 - RJ11

My other ISP : UK Free Software Network http://www.ukfsn.org
Old January 12th 05, 03:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Peter M wrote:

On 12 Jan 2005 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Tiscali Tim" wrote:

most ADSL router cables have an RJ11 plug on the end which won't
plug straight into a BT socket.

The last few DabsValue 4-port routers bought by a client of mine
have had two cords, one with a BT plug, the other RJ11 - RJ11

That would be useful for some people.

Some fool is sure to use the BT variety and plug it into the *filtered*
outlet of a micro-filter - and then wonder why it didn't work!
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old January 12th 05, 05:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ed Start

"kraftee" [email protected]& die.com wrote in message
" I have known ringing current to knock a modem out of synch..... "

Man, how strange. How would a filter stop this then? Does the bell wire have
it's continuity broken by a filter?