Spammer!

Old January 12th 05, 02:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve P

Default Spammer!

Old January 12th 05, 04:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
fishman

His phone number's on there... we could phone him and waste his time?
Old January 12th 05, 04:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 16:05:38 UTC, "fishman"
wrote:

His phone number's on there... we could phone him and waste his time?

Indeed...if someone was really naughty they could post hos email
addresses...

--
[Davism - a condition by which the sufferer experiences an inability
euthanasia recommended. (also known as Gee-axia)]
Old January 12th 05, 10:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 12 Jan 2005 in uk.telecom.broadband, Lurch wrote:

Then you'll get some.

if that was the case, then my "reply to" addresses would also be
getting junk mail, and they're not. Hint: it's easy to retrieve
just some headers, which seems to be what spammers do, and those
don't usually include the reply-to header, just a tiny number.

My other ISP : UK Free Software Network http://www.ukfsn.org
Old January 12th 05, 11:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 22:36:27 -0000, Tx2
strung together this:

I didn't even see the original post ...

Neither did I, for much the same reasons as you i suspect.

What I did see was someone posting these email addresses.

--

SJW
Old January 12th 05, 11:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stuart Millington

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 22:59:46 +0000, Peter M
wrote:

if that was the case, then my "reply to" addresses would also be
getting junk mail, and they're not. Hint: it's easy to retrieve
just some headers, which seems to be what spammers do, and those
don't usually include the reply-to header, just a tiny number.

Most spammers trawling Usenet for addresses do, indeed, just do an
XOVER and get the From: addresses. However, there is/was evidence of a
small number of crawls (either from full message downloads or via
dejagoogle type Usenet archives) processing full article headers and
bodies.

IME the resulting UCE/UBE from this, apparently rare, type of crawl
is not even noticeable compared to the 1,000's of UCE/UBE's I get (and
reject) every day to my From: address.

However, **IF** the OP was not a Joe Job then it can't hurt for
them to have their address published ;-)

- Stuart Millington ALL HTML e-mail rejected -
- mailtohttp://w3.z-add.co.uk/ -
begin OE is broken read MS knowledgebase Q265230