IPStream or Datastream?

Old January 13th 05, 11:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DB.

Default IPStream or Datastream?

A friend is considering signing-up for ADSL service using an ISP
that provides using DataStream. Should he be advised against that? Is
an ISP that uses IPStream to be preferred?

--
DB.

Old January 13th 05, 02:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul King

DB. wrote:
A friend is considering signing-up for ADSL service using an ISP
that provides using DataStream. Should he be advised against that?
Is an ISP that uses IPStream to be preferred?

Perhaps this will answer your question

http://www.proweb.net/proweb_ipstream.html

Old January 13th 05, 06:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tom Warner

Paul King wrote:

Perhaps this will answer your question

http://www.proweb.net/proweb_ipstream.html

Is there a list or easy way to find out who does what as far as IP or
DataStream is concerned?

All the best,
Tom
--
My ol' grandaddy taught me to always;
post in plain text,
Old January 13th 05, 07:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David G

DB. wrote:
A friend is considering signing-up for ADSL service using an ISP
that provides using DataStream. Should he be advised against that? Is
an ISP that uses IPStream to be preferred?

From what I have seen of Datastream you should run very fast in the
opposite direction. V21 in particular have suffered since converting to
Telefonica. See their forums
http://www.v21.co.uk/forum/display_f...asp?ForumID=29

There is a thread here on ISPreview
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/show...0&page=1&pp=10

and have a look here
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/new/complain/complain.shtml

for the most complained about ISP's. All to my knowledge use datastream.

--
Regards

David G
(remove r u n)
Old January 13th 05, 08:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 13 Jan 2005 in uk.telecom.broadband, David G wrote:

From what I have seen of Datastream you should run very fast in the
opposite direction.

While I, as a user, of Tiscali's Datastream service, via another ISP for
billing, have no complaints and can run my 1000 kbps at full capacity if
I need to, for hours at a time. Not one for peer-to-peer, but streaming
films, webcams, audio/'radio' and binary news. Indeed, there've been a
few times when this PC has been "pulling" the full 1500 kbps available
(using both network connections I have).

If he wasn't too busy, perhaps Jason Clifford (who runs UKFSN) would be
happy to comment about the service reliability - he's the 'customer' of
Tiscali's "ISP to ISP" product and presumably would be losing customers
if there were significant/noticeable problems with the DataStream links

My other ISP : UK Free Software Network http://www.ukfsn.org
Old January 13th 05, 08:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ian

DB. wrote:

A friend is considering signing-up for ADSL service using an ISP
that provides using DataStream. Should he be advised against that? Is
an ISP that uses IPStream to be preferred?

The only difference is the way the adsl is delivered to the isp .With
IPstream it comes via a bt home-gateway router into the isp's network

Data-stream is delivered via ATM (in our case) which gives an isp more
control over contention bandwidth etc. I would also have thought that most
isp's use the same upstream bandwidth for both .

The most important question is one you cant answer until you have DSL. That
it how many people on your VP spend all day downloading and hogging the
pipe.
--
Output certified Microsoft free
Checked with Suse 9.2