"erbotech" SSID (And ST510 'smoke')

Old January 13th 05, 08:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
LJM

Default "erbotech" SSID (And ST510 'smoke')

Setting up my new Addon GWAR3000 ADSL Wireless Router* this afternoon, I
noticed a DHCP Client besides myself with hostname SSID "erbotech". I
was implementing WPA security and limiting access to specific MAC
addresses at the time...and suddenly it vanished. As it definitely
connected, and seems to have exchanged rather a lot of data (whilst
connected to the net), it seems somebody, probably a neighbour,
deliberately took advantage of the freebie....and I wonder if 'erbotech'
might be the default hostname for a specific brand of PC or notebook? I
did a search but can't find anything at all.

* A replacement for an old Speedtouch 510 that literally went 'pop',
'hiss' and started smoking around 8am this morning. Is that common?
Certainly quite worrying because it was constantly connected for three
years.
--
Lee J. Moore
Old June 11th 06, 11:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Teccie123

LJM Wrote:
Setting up my new Addon GWAR3000 ADSL Wireless Router* this afternoon,
noticed a DHCP Client besides myself with hostname SSID "erbotech". I
was implementing WPA security and limiting access to specific MAC
addresses at the time...and suddenly it vanished.

Hi I have just had exactly the same anomaly occur to me.
I have run GWAR3000 for some time quite happly on an open
architecture.
after having some strange faults I found I was being knocked out.
So I ran a proper "safe" set up to find "erbotech" had taken the
primary DHCP client.
I have ring frenced that particular "user" by re-arranging the DHCP
scope and limiting the scope only to the 2 x reseved addresses of my
own clients.

--
Teccie123