*sigh* FAQ coming :)

Old January 14th 05, 11:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Sobey

Default *sigh* FAQ coming :)

Hi all

After spending 160 on a router and 75 on a phone line, I've decided
that I really can't justify a further 50 for an ADSL connection. I
really wanted Plusnet for their pricing and features:

Unlimited 512Kb + Static IP for 21.99

...but is there another provider which does the same but waives the
setup fee? All the usual suspects I've tried but either charge silly
fees for static IP (Bulldog 5/month extra!) or are more expensive
anyway.

Thanks

Richard
Old January 14th 05, 12:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Josey

http://www.adslguide.org/isps/packagelist.asp

Old January 14th 05, 12:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Richard Sobey wrote:

After spending 160 on a router

Is it gold plated? decent new ones about 60-70 and half that if you
like ebay ...

is there another provider which [...] waives the
setup fee? All the usual suspects I've tried but either charge silly
fees for static IP (Bulldog 5/month extra!) or are more expensive
anyway.

Those who waive the setup fee wiill tend to "build it in" to the monthly
prices, or charge you a fee if you decide to leave ...

Old January 14th 05, 01:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Sobey

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 12:33:50 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

Richard Sobey wrote:

After spending 160 on a router

Is it gold plated? decent new ones about 60-70 and half that if you
like ebay ...

Heh. Draytek Vigor 2600G. Specifically wanted one which had nice
advanced features, I like to at least pretend I'm a power user!
Old January 14th 05, 01:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Sobey

Oh, and thanks for the links folks.
Old January 14th 05, 01:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
fishman

Don't forget Fast4 or V21 or deriratives
Old January 14th 05, 02:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Finnigan

"fishman" wrote in message
news:[email protected] eranews...
Don't forget Fast4 or V21 or deriratives

Avoid V21 like the plague that they are. I was with them for a while, and
the customer support (and technical support) where a joke. Take your money
elsewhere, and save yourself a lot of messing about.

--
What am I selling on ebay right now?
http://tinyurl.com/38yjc

Old January 14th 05, 02:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

wrote:

Richard Sobey wrote:

After spending 160 on a router

Is it gold plated? decent new ones about 60-70 and half that if you
like ebay ...

Heh. Draytek Vigor 2600G. Specifically wanted one which had nice
advanced features, I like to at least pretend I'm a power user!

But if you had spent 80 less on a decent home model, then you could
have paid the 50 startup fee, and still been better off.

Unless you are *really* a power user, going for one of those is
overkill.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
All computers wait at the same speed.

Old January 14th 05, 02:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

wrote:

Richard Sobey wrote:

After spending 160 on a router

Is it gold plated? decent new ones about 60-70 and half that if you
like ebay ...

Heh. Draytek Vigor 2600G. Specifically wanted one which had nice
advanced features, I like to at least pretend I'm a power user!

But if you had spent 80 less on a decent home model, then you could
have paid the 50 startup fee, and still been better off.

Unless you are *really* a power user, going for one of those is
overkill.

Not neccesarily as most, if not all, of the lower priced ones have various
problems if you do make prolonged heavy usage of your service (such as file
sharing) as they just can't cope. My experience so far is Netgear & Linksys
reboot (& the Linksys was doing so after 90 minutes & it was also turning
off the wifi link, not a good thing) D-link & 3Com just lock up so you have
to reboot & that's after reducing my max connections to 50. Mind you the
only manufacturer to actually put their hands up about it so far are 3Com...

A more expensive router could help avoid all such problems, personally I'd
like to get my hands on a Cisco 800 to try it out but the likelyhood of that
is blowing in the wind....

Old January 14th 05, 02:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike GW8IJT

"Richard Sobey" wrote in message
Hi all

After spending 160 on a router and 75 on a phone line, I've decided
that I really can't justify a further 50 for an ADSL connection. I
really wanted Plusnet for their pricing and features:

Unlimited 512Kb + Static IP for 21.99

..but is there another provider which does the same but waives the
setup fee? All the usual suspects I've tried but either charge silly
fees for static IP (Bulldog 5/month extra!) or are more expensive
anyway.

Thanks

Richard

I'm with www.homecall.co.uk and it's 19.99 per month with no download
limit (512k) and free modem (SpeedTouch 330) & free setup.
The only down side is that the usenet news server's crap, but I use
news.individual.net
I used to be with Freeserve/Wanadoo for dialup but they're just too
expensive for broadband.
Regards Mike.

--
"Remember that age and treachery will always triumph over youth and
ability" (David Brent).