Wifi walls effect on Broadband ?

Old January 15th 05, 01:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Marky

Default Wifi walls effect on Broadband ?

I'm geting between 15 - 25 mbps with a 54g wifi and says low on wireless
network its also going via 2 thick walls, and a distance of about 5 metres.

After doing a Broadband speed check the upload speed is pretty crap would
the effect of the wifi going through 2 think walls effect this or would it
be phone line related to the Broadband router and not wifi ?

Old January 15th 05, 02:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
evangelical_bob

Nothing to do with wi-fi. The speeds of 15 - 25 mpbs are far in excess
of the speed of your upload. You did not say what your upload speed
is, please post that. My guess is that it'll be somewhere approaching
256 Kbps. Let's see!

Old January 15th 05, 11:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

Marky wrote :
I'm geting between 15 - 25 mbps with a 54g wifi and says low on wireless
network its also going via 2 thick walls, and a distance of about 5 metres.

After doing a Broadband speed check the upload speed is pretty crap would
the effect of the wifi going through 2 think walls effect this or would it
be phone line related to the Broadband router and not wifi ?

15 -25Mb is well in excess of broadband speeds, so the WiFi link will
not be the bottleneck. Floors and ceilings seem to be easier for the
the WiFI signal to get through, so it might be advantageous to move the
access point up to a position where your PC's are not seeing the AP
through walls. I get a good 54Mb connection through two floors,
anywhere in the house or garden.

Remember the higher it is, the more likely it can be accessed from
outside. Ensure your WiFi security is enabled.

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.org

Old January 15th 05, 01:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Conor

In article ,
Marky says...
I'm geting between 15 - 25 mbps with a 54g wifi and says low on wireless
network its also going via 2 thick walls, and a distance of about 5 metres.

After doing a Broadband speed check the upload speed is pretty crap would
the effect of the wifi going through 2 think walls effect this or would it
be phone line related to the Broadband router and not wifi ?

THe speed check only tests the router to ISP connection.

--
Conor

-- George Patton
Old January 15th 05, 08:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

"Marky" wrote in message

I'm geting between 15 - 25 mbps with a 54g wifi and says low on wireless
network its also going via 2 thick walls, and a distance of about 5
metres.

After doing a Broadband speed check the upload speed is pretty crap would
the effect of the wifi going through 2 think walls effect this or would it
be phone line related to the Broadband router and not wifi ?

I have found the same thing. I also have a TV sender on the same frequency
of 2.4Ghz and that doesn't work either through the walls due to attention,
but it does work through a ceiling. The control signal for changing channels
is on 433 MHz and that works fine through either.

I understand that in the USA most walls are wooden and suffer much less
attenuation than our brick and concrete walls. Some manufacturers don't sell
some equipment in the UK that is available in the USA for that reason.

Ian