anybody used aol? am thinking of joining them,,,

Old January 15th 05, 10:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cheeky

Default anybody used aol? am thinking of joining them,,,

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 06:27:26 +0000, Alex Boosbeck
wrote:

But what am I letting myself in for? What's so crap about AOL
broadband? I've read here, that you don't have to use their
software to connect, which seemed to be the major sticking point.

Does it still install loads of proprietary crap installed on your
system? Have a google: http://tinyurl.com/4s69q

Or if anybody else can suggest an ISP that gives you a free
modem, no installation fee, and more than 1 gig a month for about
18 then that would be much appreciated. One with a newserver
with good binaries might be appreciated too, although not
essential.

Thanks, Alex.

They don't give you a free modem but Virgin is 17.99 (3GB capped)
with no setup fee and no minimum term. They were doing deals on the
speedtouch modem when I signed up (10) but no doubt you could pick
one up off ebay... Can't comment on binaries as I don't use them.
--

`,,,,`,,,,`,,,,`
Please reply to the group
Old January 16th 05, 09:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

No, it doesn't. I've used AOL for about 4 years or so, and I'm now on
their 1Mb package for 29.99/month. I don't use any of the AOL
software, as I use Firefox as my browser and Thunderbird for my email
client.

AOL's become a hell of a lot better over the past 18 months to 2 years,
and I would definitely recommend them.

HTH!

Rob

Old January 16th 05, 09:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
huLLy

Or +44 8703 408916 to my VOIP line
wrote in message
oups.com...
No, it doesn't. I've used AOL for about 4 years or so, and I'm now on
their 1Mb package for 29.99/month. I don't use any of the AOL
software, as I use Firefox as my browser and Thunderbird for my email
client.

AOL's become a hell of a lot better over the past 18 months to 2 years,
and I would definitely recommend them.

HTH!

Rob

I'm on Platinum 2 and apart from being relatively expensive, it's excellent!
--
huLLy
VOIP SIP Phone Number 4823176 on Global Village