anybody used aol? am thinking of joining them,,,

Old January 15th 05, 10:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pipex Text

Default anybody used aol? am thinking of joining them,,,

Alex Boosbeck wrote:
I've heard, on here I think that if you have an aol trial dial
up account, and then call to cancel it, and when they ask why you
are canceling, you tell them that you've decided to upgrade to
broadband, and go with a provider cheaper than aol, then they
will price match!

If I could get through the credit check, I'd go with NTLfreedom
(512k, 5gig / month cap, 17.99 a month, which includes a free
modem, and free signup), but I can't so AOL looks like a good bet
if they will give me their unlimited 512k package for 17.99 /
month!

But what am I letting myself in for? What's so crap about AOL
broadband? I've read here, that you don't have to use their
software to connect, which seemed to be the major sticking point.

Or if anybody else can suggest an ISP that gives you a free
modem, no installation fee, and more than 1 gig a month for about
18 then that would be much appreciated. One with a newserver
with good binaries might be appreciated too, although not
essential.

Thanks, Alex.

What about Demon Home 500? For only 2 quid more, i.e. 19.99 a month, you
get all that but without the capping.

Mike