which isp should I choose please?

Old January 15th 05, 05:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lu

Default which isp should I choose please?

I have been looking for 2 months now and finally have to make a decision.
Broadband has just come to our area so I need to change from dialup to
broadband. I am currently with freeserve/wanadoo. I contacted them and
said I was changing to broadband hoping they might offer a deal to keep my
custom but they didn't so I need a new isp.

My requirements a
512k (being 3 miles from the exchange they say that is the fastest we will
get)
unlimited download(no limits)
newsgroup access especialy uk.rec.competitions
pop3 email if possible.
At the moment I access newsgroups and send emails via my freeserve account
and outlook express so would still like to use those through my new isp.
I know about the german server. Can I set it up if I have an isp that
doesn't offer newsgroups?
under 30 a month.
I don't need an isp that includes the modem as I need to get a one that
allows networking.
No yearly contract sounds good too.
I don't play games but would like to download music.
(I have just read that back, I don't want much do I )

I have been looking at demon,freedom2suf,plusnet,metro,zen
and virginnet and possibly pipex or nildram.
I decided on DEMON HOME500 then saw that there were no newsgroups. That is
the one thing that is putting me off. The 24.99 demon might be an option if
I cannot get newsgroups via another server.

Just looking for some advice please.
I didn't realise choosing a broadband isp would be so hard.
I forgot to say I have ruled out aol, tiscali and ntl. I am not in a cable
area either.
Also we have just got another computer so I need to network 2 computers too.
Thats why a "free" modem is not so important anymore. Do any isps provide
you with a ADSL modem-router?
Tia
Lucy

Old January 15th 05, 06:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Also we have just got another computer so I need to network 2 computers too.
Thats why a "free" modem is not so important anymore. Do any isps provide
you with a ADSL modem-router?

www.adslguide.org.uk

I think Plusnet have a router option available with one of their
packages, but i`m not sure on the cost.

I`ve been very pleased with my Pipex account (had it almost 2 years now)
- no limits, no restrictions, 23.44 per month

Old January 15th 05, 06:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Albrow SJ

"lu" wrote in message
I have been looking for 2 months now and finally have to make a decision.
Broadband has just come to our area so I need to change from dialup to
broadband. I am currently with freeserve/wanadoo. I contacted them and
said I was changing to broadband hoping they might offer a deal to keep my
custom but they didn't so I need a new isp.

Not suprised.

My requirements a
512k (being 3 miles from the exchange they say that is the fastest we will
get)
unlimited download(no limits)
newsgroup access especialy uk.rec.competitions
pop3 email if possible.
At the moment I access newsgroups and send emails via my freeserve account
and outlook express so would still like to use those through my new isp.
I know about the german server. Can I set it up if I have an isp that
doesn't offer newsgroups?
under 30 a month.
I don't need an isp that includes the modem as I need to get a one that
allows networking.
No yearly contract sounds good too.
I don't play games but would like to download music.
(I have just read that back, I don't want much do I )

Plusnet offer all this, I think its about 10-20 for not having a years
contract.

I have been looking at demon,freedom2suf,plusnet,metro,zen
and virginnet and possibly pipex or nildram.
I decided on DEMON HOME500 then saw that there were no newsgroups. That
is
the one thing that is putting me off. The 24.99 demon might be an option
if
I cannot get newsgroups via another server.

Plusnet 14.99 a month for 1GB, or 21.99 for premier (no limits).
Personally I would first of all go for one of the limited options - you can
always upgrade - unless you know you are going to need the extra anyway (I
have a home network and use alot of terminal server services, downloading
and run a webserver so use the premier option).

Just looking for some advice please.
I didn't realise choosing a broadband isp would be so hard.
I forgot to say I have ruled out aol, tiscali and ntl. I am not in a
cable
area either.

Your half way there then I wouldn't touch those three either.

Also we have just got another computer so I need to network 2 computers
too.
Thats why a "free" modem is not so important anymore. Do any isps provide
you with a ADSL modem-router?

Its never free, its included, better to not be fooled and buy what you
actually need.
Tia
Lucy

HTH

Sam

---
If you have any queries regarding this email please contact Horshamnet on
08708811293.
Opinions are those of the sender only, you must not forward, copy, or quote
this email without permission.

Old January 15th 05, 06:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lu

Thank you. I have been looking at plusnet but the 70 activation fee is
putting me off. Yes they do the modem-router, but I could choose a one with
an included modem then buy the proper one but not need to pay the activation
fee couldn't I? Or do you have to use the modem they provide?
Do plusnet include newsgroups?
I know need to go and look at zen and freedom2surf. At the moment demon and
plusnet are favourites!

Just to point out I have nothing against ntl it is just I am in a non cable
area. My brother was on ntl and has had no problems at all(we messed them
about cancelling before thre year then they let us restart the contract with
no extra cost as my mum had been with ntl phone+ tv for years). I read they
are not as reliable on the bt line. I am just giving credit where credit is
due, as I keep reading how bad they are.
Lucy

Old January 15th 05, 06:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lu

"Its never free, its included, better to not be fooled and buy what you
actually need."

Yes I realise that now after hours reading up on the various isp'! I know
they get the money back over the year.

Can anyone recommend a usb-router? It is just for 2 computers. Do you get
everything with it you need to network and get broadband? Also is it hard
network computers. As you can tell I am not very good with technical
matters.would I be better to get someone in to network them?
Sorry for all the questions. My main priority is to find an isp but as I
need to consider which modem I need they have become linked.
Thanks very much again.
Lucy

Old January 15th 05, 07:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Hutchings

In article ,
"lu" wrote:

Thank you. I have been looking at plusnet but the 70 activation fee is
putting me off. Yes they do the modem-router, but I could choose a one with
an included modem then buy the proper one but not need to pay the activation
fee couldn't I? Or do you have to use the modem they provide?
Do plusnet include newsgroups?
I know need to go and look at zen and freedom2surf. At the moment demon and
plusnet are favourites!

I'm with Zen and they are very very good, but they aren't the cheapest
which puts a lot of people off.

I'd take a look at Zen, Metronet and Pipex, maybe Eclipse too as they
each have decent reputations.

With Pipex the setup and modem are free but if you leave within the
first year you pay the connection fee back, with the others you pay
connection up front.

I tend to subscribe to the "you don't get something for nothing" school
of thought, and any ISP offering free connection usually does so by
charging more over the course of the year, capping, or tying you in to a
years contract so they're guaranteed to make some money out of you -
basically check the small print before you sign with anybody.

If you've not done so, head over to http://bbs.adslguide.org and look on
the ISP specific forums, you'll find loads of feedback there.

cheers,
Paul
--
paul at spamcop dot net
Old January 15th 05, 07:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
baron

http://www.ndodsl.com/

Product Variants Available

Home500 Complete
A complete broadband service with modem, line filters and line
activation.from 27.00 per month

All our Home ADSL products benefit from the following high specifications:
512kbps or 1024kbps download speed
Max 256kbps upload speed
50:1 contention ratio
Dynamic IP address
Outbound SMTP support
Connection Sharing
Backup 0845 dial access
Use a telephone or a fax while online

Also includes...
20Mb of HomeWeb included
1 x 20Mb POP3 mailbox - Now with 5 included as standard
Unlimited email aliases
NEWT Anti-Spam Protection
WebMail remote email access
Free .uk domain name
Support available 24/7

Old January 15th 05, 07:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Albrow SJ

"lu" wrote in message
"Its never free, its included, better to not be fooled and buy what you
actually need."

Yes I realise that now after hours reading up on the various isp'! I know
they get the money back over the year.

Can anyone recommend a usb-router? It is just for 2 computers. Do you
get
everything with it you need to network and get broadband? Also is it hard
network computers. As you can tell I am not very good with technical
matters.would I be better to get someone in to network them?
Sorry for all the questions. My main priority is to find an isp but as I
need to consider which modem I need they have become linked.
Thanks very much again.

It shouldn't matter, any ADSL modem \ router will work with ADSL on a BT
Line.

Personally I wouldn't touch USB - go for ethernet, much better all round,
less likley to cause problems with other USB devices, much more likley to
'just work'. I would recomend the vigor routers as they are very feature
rich and easy to configue, however they aren't the cheapest.

www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk etc are probably worth looking at as they have a
good selection, but obviously shop around for the best price.

Sam

Lucy

---

Old January 15th 05, 08:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

Also we have just got another computer so I need to network 2 computers
too. Thats why a "free" modem is not so important anymore. Do any isps
provide you with a ADSL modem-router?
Tia
Lucy

www.adslguide.org

Dave

again
in the future!!
Old January 15th 05, 10:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lu

I have almost definitely decided on demon unless I read something very bad
about them soon!
The newsgroup access was what was holding me up but as I think I can get
them elsewhere I should be ok.
Thanks very much for all your advice
Lucy