Slow (and erratic) downloading.

Old January 15th 05, 10:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DB.

Default Slow (and erratic) downloading.

I am completely at a loss to find a reason for slow downloading over
my ADSL connection, and would appreciate it if anyone can suggest a
reason.
I have had ADSL for about 14 weeks. For the first three months all
was well, with no downloading problems. However, over the past 10 days
d/loading has been erratic for 16 hours of every day. Speeds have
varied from normal to 'no-go' (and anything in-between), often, it
appears, changing by the minute.
For the past 7 days I have been keeping a log of speeds throughout
the day and for short periods during the early hours using the speedtest
at http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp
When working properly upload speeds as shown by that test are 262
Kbps and download speeds 512 Kbps with very little variation. Upload
speeds _at all times_ are very close to 262: there is no problem at all
in the upward direction.
My ISP is (and I admit it reluctantly) Britain's favourite grocer -
so it's a DataStream connection. I have a Netgear DG814 router and have
no reason to believe that it is not working correctly.
The strangest thing about this is that between about 0800hrs.and
1600hrs. speeds are perfectly normal. During the 7 days I have been
monitoring the d/load speed has never differed appreciably from 512 Kbps
between those hours. At all other times I must go back to PAYG to get a
certain (and often faster) connection.
Can anyone suggest where the solution to this problem might lie?
--
TIA of any reply.
DB.

Old January 15th 05, 11:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Josey

Can anyone suggest where the solution to this problem might lie?

Sounds like it could be high contention on the backhaul.

Jc.
..

Old January 16th 05, 01:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike GW8IJT

"DB." wrote in message
[...]

Isn't that normal behaviour for BT broadband.
Find a decent isp.
Regards Mike.

--
"Remember that age and treachery will always triumph over youth and
ability" (David Brent).

Old January 16th 05, 08:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

If this is normal behaviour - that the user at times can't even load a
normal webpage & has to resort to dial-up - surely the product is not
fit for the purpose for which it was sold? It seems to me that the OP
is likely locked in to a year's contract with Sainbu... I mean
Tesco.com - in which case it will be difficult just to "get a decent
ISP". Has anyone had any success pursuing issues like this with an ISP?
Stroller.

Old January 16th 05, 01:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 16 Jan 2005, in uk.telecom.broadband, "Mike GW8IJT" wrote:

Isn't that normal behaviour for BT broadband.

Is that a snipe at the OP's ISP, or just BT Broadband ?
Hint: don't go by an e-mail address to identify the ISP...

I think the OP is with Tesco.Net (operated by NTL and which has been
complained about in the past, mostly over delays getting set up).

Also, while I don't believe BT Broadband represents value for money
(fairly high cost, possible capping, no news or mail included) those
who have commented about BTB have generally praised it for its speed,
which is an aspect of the problems this poster has had. How many past
posts complaining about speed on BT Broadband can you find ? Peter M.

My other ISP : UK Free Software Network http://www.ukfsn.org
Old January 16th 05, 02:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 00:17:02 -0000, "Mike GW8IJT"
strung together this:

Isn't that normal behaviour for BT broadband.

Who said anything about BT?
--

SJW