Business or not?

Old January 16th 05, 12:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
J B

Default Business or not?

I currently use BT Business Highway.

The exchange is going to be 'enabled' on 10th Feb.

We are about 3km from the exchange (if that matters)

Which ISP's will give their cheapest 'deal' to a business line? Some say
they can't give home deals to businesses. I tried Nildram, and they said
they would.

Anyone any experience of this?

--

J B

Old January 16th 05, 03:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"J B" wrote in message
Which ISP's will give their cheapest 'deal' to a business line? Some say
they can't give home deals to businesses. I tried Nildram, and they said
they would.

Almost all with - even if they don't want to.. since they can't actually
tell if your BT line is a "residential" or "business" line.

The exception is BT Broadband - as they know what type of line is
installed...

Regards
Sunil

Old January 16th 05, 03:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

J B wrote:
I currently use BT Business Highway.

The exchange is going to be 'enabled' on 10th Feb.

We are about 3km from the exchange (if that matters)

Which ISP's will give their cheapest 'deal' to a business line? Some say
they can't give home deals to businesses. I tried Nildram, and they said
they would.

Anyone any experience of this?

None of the ISPs I deal with regularly ask if it is a business line or
not. None of their concern what you use the line for anyway. Just pick
the deal you want and order it from someone who does the ISDN to ADSL
managed conversion - try www.metronet.co.uk

I have installed plenty of 'home' services in business premises and in
homes for business use without problems.

JP
Old January 16th 05, 04:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 16 Jan 2005 in uk.telecom.broadband, John wrote:

None of their concern what you use the line for anyway.

some ISPs specifically state a restriction though many seem to
be unlikely to care, and either take certain features off the
"home" service or use 50:1 and 20:1 to justify higher charges,
but one ISP checks by postcode and has the restriction so will
refuse a request (can and has!) on that basis alone. Peter M.
Old January 16th 05, 05:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hurrah

"J B" wrote in message
I currently use BT Business Highway.

The exchange is going to be 'enabled' on 10th Feb.

We are about 3km from the exchange (if that matters)

Which ISP's will give their cheapest 'deal' to a business line? Some say
they can't give home deals to businesses. I tried Nildram, and they said
they would.

I checked the Pipex T&C's and found that, for the Solo 500 service (which is
for residential customers) they specifically state:

"The PIPEX Xtreme Solo service can be used for Consumer use only. Using the
PIPEX Xtreme Solo service for Business use is strictly prohibited. If you
plan to use your ADSL service for Business use, please visit our PIPEX
Xtreme Business range for details of a more suitable service. "

On the other hand Eclipse have provided a friend of mine with a so-called
"Home" service at his workplace.

So, it seems to vary - you need to look at all the T&C's to see if they have
exceptions or restrictions.

rgds,

H.

Old January 16th 05, 09:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 16 Jan 2005 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Hurrah" wrote:

On the other hand Eclipse have provided a friend of mine with a so-called
"Home" service at his workplace. So, it seems to vary - you need to look
at all the T&C's to see if they have exceptions or restrictions.

Agreed. Some are teleworker and business friendly, such as ukfsn.org, and
some are (or were) more restrictive (eg Freeserve, for some long period).

My other ISP : UK Free Software Network http://www.ukfsn.org
Old January 17th 05, 05:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
J B

"John" wrote in message

Just pick the deal you want and order it from someone who does the ISDN
to ADSL managed conversion - try www.metronet.co.uk

OK, thanks all for help so far.

I've looked at Eclipse and PlusNet who both do the 1GB deal for 14.99

The Metronet one looked a little more complex at 10.00 for 200MB

Should I also be looking at firewalls (do ISP's offer those?) and such like?

--

J B

Old January 17th 05, 06:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Hutchings

In article , "J B"
wrote:

"John" wrote in message

Just pick the deal you want and order it from someone who does the ISDN
to ADSL managed conversion - try www.metronet.co.uk

OK, thanks all for help so far.

I've looked at Eclipse and PlusNet who both do the 1GB deal for 14.99

The Metronet one looked a little more complex at 10.00 for 200MB

Should I also be looking at firewalls (do ISP's offer those?) and such like?

With Metronet, no matter how much you use it their capped package will
not cost more than their uncapped package.

Not quite sure why they do it that way, but it means you can assume a
"worst case" cost and if you use less it'll cost you a bit less money.

Metronet also offer a firewall facility that can be customised a little,
details are on their website support pages somewhere.

Also might be worth throwing Zen into the equation, good reputation,
good service.

cheers,
Paul
--
paul at spamcop dot net
Old January 17th 05, 09:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 17 Jan 2005 in uk.telecom.broadband, Paul Hutchings wrote:

With Metronet, no matter how much you use it their capped package will
not cost more than their uncapped package.

Do they still offer uncapped packages ? Last time I looked there was just
the PayGo entries (though I was not looking for long anyway, just checking
prices for 500 + 1000 kbps)

My other ISP : UK Free Software Network http://www.ukfsn.org
Old January 22nd 05, 08:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 21:44:39 +0000, Peter M
wrote:

Do they still offer uncapped packages ?

they do

http://www.metronet.co.uk/adsl/?incvat#paygo-prices

scroll down a screen.

The unmetered option (none of metronet is capped) gives a fixed
monthly payment and can be done by some payment methods not available
to the PAYG service (DD / SO). The PAYG service is billed in arrears.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !