Broadband ISP recommendation for Wires-only installation

Old January 16th 05, 05:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hurrah

Default Broadband ISP recommendation for Wires-only installation

Hi,

Anyone care to recommend a "wires-only" ISP for Broadband? (Am moving from a
cabled area to a non-cabled area and have all the kit already. So I don't
need a USB modem).

Would love the following:

512k connection
free installation
as high a cap as possible (uncapped would be great but...I know you get what
you pay for !)

Most of the various websites list loads of providers, but all the "hard to
find" terms and conditions make choosing pretty difficult.

rgds,

H.

Old January 16th 05, 07:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill

Hurrah wrote:

Hi,

Anyone care to recommend a "wires-only" ISP for Broadband? (Am moving from a
cabled area to a non-cabled area and have all the kit already. So I don't
need a USB modem).

Would love the following:

512k connection
free installation
as high a cap as possible (uncapped would be great but...I know you get what
you pay for !)

Most of the various websites list loads of providers, but all the "hard to
find" terms and conditions make choosing pretty difficult.

rgds,

H.

You probably DO need a modem, ADSL and cable are different systems.
How much extra a month do you want to be paying for your free installation ?
Do you want to pay the extra for ever or just a year ?

Bill

Old January 16th 05, 10:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Ingle

Hurrah wrote:

Hi,

Anyone care to recommend a "wires-only" ISP for Broadband? (Am moving from a
cabled area to a non-cabled area and have all the kit already. So I don't
need a USB modem).

A couple with free installs a

Demon
e7seven
virgin.net

There may be others; check out adslguide.org
Old January 16th 05, 11:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hurrah

"Bill" wrote in message

snip

?
Do you want to pay the extra for ever or just a year ?

Bill

Hi Bill,

Thanks for quoting the obvious, but I already have an ADSL box incorporating
a modem/router (which I got in anticipation of the pending house move !!).

I agree with your sentiments with regards to one-off fee vs. monthly cost
(with claw back built in).

On the other hand, I also tend to think that the market will both
consolidate (providers) as well as enlarge (in subscriber numbers) and hence
"market forces" will most likely keep most ISP's "competitive" (comparing
prices vs. access speeds).

And I'm not the type to enrol with one ISP and then stay there forever. So I
will give my loyalty to whoever offers the best "package" deal.

H.

quote
Global Dimming is happening - see
http://www.perfect.co.uk/2005/01/global-dimming
/quote

Old January 16th 05, 11:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hurrah

"Mark Ingle" wrote in message
news:1gqi7dt.18z5acn1uzhdq8N%[email protected] mfastmail.fm...
Hurrah wrote:

snip

A couple with free installs a

Demon
e7seven
virgin.net

There may be others; check out adslguide.org

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the pointers.

Will review and see if any look good.

(Have visited adslguide.org but their "guide" is not very intuitive - have
to click on multiple links to find the barest information out - I do like
their "compare" feature tho').

Old January 17th 05, 12:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 16 Jan 2005 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Hurrah" wrote:

quote
Global Dimming is happening - see
http://www.perfect.co.uk/2005/01/global-dimming
/quote

I assume this might be displayed in some 'special' way on MS OE
but on plain text it just looks silly - I suggest you put the link
and description as your "signature" and get MS OE to *append* it to
your posts (yes I followed the Horizon programme last week, but with
MS OE there are flaws in presentation for non MS OE readers so you'll
get people annoyed if this comes out as quoted a lot in future :-) PGM
Old January 17th 05, 02:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hurrah

--

I assume this might be displayed in some 'special' way on MS OE
but on plain text it just looks silly - I suggest you put the link
and description as your "signature" and get MS OE to *append* it to
your posts (yes I followed the Horizon programme last week, but with
MS OE there are flaws in presentation for non MS OE readers so you'll
get people annoyed if this comes out as quoted a lot in future :-) PGM

Hi PGM,

Actually it shouldn't have been attached in the first place..! Thanx for
taking the time to point it out.

H.

Old January 20th 05, 08:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Jones

Hurrah wrote:
Hi,

Anyone care to recommend a "wires-only" ISP for Broadband? (Am moving from a
cabled area to a non-cabled area and have all the kit already. So I don't
need a USB modem).

Would love the following:

512k connection
free installation
as high a cap as possible (uncapped would be great but...I know you get what
you pay for !)

I've been with freedom to surf for a few months now and haven't had any
problems at all. 22.50/month for 512k, more expensive than some, but
worth it for the no hassle service.

www.f2s.com

Ian