Poor speed since upgrade to 1Meg

Old January 17th 05, 10:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

Default Poor speed since upgrade to 1Meg

Hi.

After being on 512K for the last 18 months I decided to upgrade to 1
Meg with Metronet. Since then the speed has slowly dropped and was so
bad that on Sunday it was unusable.

Now metronet say they had problems on Sunday but its all OK now, My
speed now varies beween 200K and 900K, Metronets reply has been:-

"It is possible that contention is currently affecting your speeds,
but
that is an issue with your exchange and is not related to us
specifically"

Now im aware of contention and yes it may be that another high
bandwidth user has come online in my exchange, But I doubt it. (BTW
its Batheaston exchange near Bath".

Any one else on Bath exchange experiencing problems ?

Also is contention based per ISP or exchange ? Metronet seem to
implying its by exchange...

Ian
Old January 18th 05, 12:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pete devlin

In message , Ian
writes
Hi.

After being on 512K for the last 18 months I decided to upgrade to 1
Meg with Metronet. Since then the speed has slowly dropped and was so
bad that on Sunday it was unusable.

Now metronet say they had problems on Sunday but its all OK now, My
speed now varies beween 200K and 900K, Metronets reply has been:-

"It is possible that contention is currently affecting your speeds,
but
that is an issue with your exchange and is not related to us
specifically"

Now im aware of contention and yes it may be that another high
bandwidth user has come online in my exchange, But I doubt it. (BTW
its Batheaston exchange near Bath".

Any one else on Bath exchange experiencing problems ?

Also is contention based per ISP or exchange ? Metronet seem to
implying its by exchange...

Doesn't look like it's the exchange:
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/ca...5&filter=0&ord
er=exchange&direction=ASC
--
Pete Devlin
"Mind the oranges Marlon!"
Old January 25th 05, 07:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham Tavener

I would run some tests to check your link latency, packet loss and optimum
MTU size.
To start make sure you are using the best MTU by testing the maximum your
ISP will support.
Try pinging some hosts to see what latency and any packet loss you get.
ping -f -l packet size host
start with a packet size of 1500 and make it smaller in steps of until you
get fragmented packets, you should be able to find the max size that is
allowed, then you can set this on your machine using DrTCP or similar.
Then I would use NeoTrace or similar to trace some IP connections from your
PC and see what kind of latency/packet loss you are getting.
If you want some comparisons let me know.

Graham

om...