first router/modem

Old January 18th 05, 08:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
steve church

Default first router/modem

I'm about to swap my Thompson USB 'frog' for a router modem so I can have 2
PCs on broadband. I have seen a lot of talk about Netgear/Dlink/Belkin
products. Has anyone any experience with the cheaper offerings from Dabs
(Conexant 4 port PTI-840) or ebuyer (Safecom SAMR-4114). I see the Safecom
product has a support forum. These are at least half the price of the
Netgear etc products. Is there a certain element of 'paying for the name'
here?

Steve

Old January 18th 05, 11:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 18 Jan 2005 in uk.telecom.broadband, "steve church" wrote:

Has anyone any experience with the cheaper offerings from Dabs
(Conexant 4 port PTI-840) or ebuyer (Safecom SAMR-4114).

These are at least half the price of the Netgear etc products.
Is there a certain element of 'paying for the name' here?

Seems to be, IMO. I've used Dabs and Ebuyer kit (models which are
no longer stocked as they've been superceded), but have no hesitation
recommending they be given consideration, and most of my clients also
have these running in homes and offices, perfectly adequate for their
needs. One can pay higher prices and will get kit with slightly more
technical support, but for the cost of an alternative, having a spare
is perhaps just as economic as wondering if the extra 30-50 quid will
make a difference... If it goes wrong, then you have no access. Only
one unit (a Netgear, which stopped within a week of purchase) has not
been reliable, from memory - I use it as a 4 port hub :-) Peter M.

My other ISP : UK Free Software Network http://www.ukfsn.org
Old January 18th 05, 01:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Martin

In article ,
says...
I'm about to swap my Thompson USB 'frog' for a router modem so I can have 2
PCs on broadband. I have seen a lot of talk about Netgear/Dlink/Belkin
products. Has anyone any experience with the cheaper offerings from Dabs
(Conexant 4 port PTI-840) or ebuyer (Safecom SAMR-4114). I see the Safecom
product has a support forum. These are at least half the price of the
Netgear etc products. Is there a certain element of 'paying for the name'
here?

Steve

I have been using a SAR705 from Solwise (
www.solwise.co.uk), which was
cheap when I bought it in June 03 and has never given any problems. I
have had more problems with Netgear then any other make and their tech
support is crap.

My motto with e-buyer is only spend what you can afford to lose. Their
products are very good value but if you have a problem, then you will
realise where they are making their cost savings. Customer support is
way down their list of priorities.

There is a bit of 'paying for the name' with all products, sometimes it
is worth it, ie Cisco other times not, ie Netgear.

The one from Dabs looks like it will do what you want and at 30 is a
good deal.

HTH
Old January 18th 05, 02:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cAm

steve church wrote:
I'm about to swap my Thompson USB 'frog' for a router modem so I can have 2
PCs on broadband. I have seen a lot of talk about Netgear/Dlink/Belkin
products. Has anyone any experience with the cheaper offerings from Dabs
(Conexant 4 port PTI-840) or ebuyer (Safecom SAMR-4114). I see the Safecom
product has a support forum. These are at least half the price of the
Netgear etc products. Is there a certain element of 'paying for the name'
here?

Steve

I have got Conexant 4 port PTI-840. Works perfect! Let me know if you
get static IPs from ur ISP and want to set your computers with those
provided by ur ISP. Coz thats the only tricky bit on this router.
Old January 22nd 05, 02:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 19 Jan 2005 in uk.telecom.broadband, cAm wrote:

they dont give static ip address(es) so you dont need to worry
abt setting the router to support that (which is bit tricky
with the mentioned router)

Just curious, but the routers I (and friends/clients) use have all
had 0.0.0.0 set as the WAN IP (and it gets the info of what IP has
been allocated from the ISP), so not sure whether other people set
the IP to whatever they've been told by the ISP, or let router get
it itself (and if the ISP then makes a change, the router would at
least work, even if incoming traffic, eg SMTP mail, might not then
be arriving on your connection :-( Peter M.
30 day free trial... http://web.vfm-deals.com/runbox/