Hotel Internet access

Old January 18th 05, 12:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
mike

Default Hotel Internet access

I'm planning to stay at the Thistle Marble Arch in a few weeks, all ther
Thistle Hotels in Lond have "thistle connect" high speed internet access in
rooms. I contacted the hotel and asked if I need any special equipment/wires
etc.......

they said "normal connection wires should be fine"........really indepth
answer as you can see, after enquiring further they said "Your normal
connection wire form your laptop to telephone socket".....

has anyone here used thistle connect? & what exactly should I take? my
laptop has an ethernet port & wifi, no modem

Old January 18th 05, 01:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn

mike wrote:

I'm planning to stay at the Thistle Marble Arch in a few weeks, all ther
Thistle Hotels in Lond have "thistle connect" high speed internet access in
rooms. I contacted the hotel and asked if I need any special equipment/wires
etc.......

they said "normal connection wires should be fine"........really indepth
answer as you can see, after enquiring further they said "Your normal
connection wire form your laptop to telephone socket".....

has anyone here used thistle connect? & what exactly should I take? my
laptop has an ethernet port & wifi, no modem

I was in a Thistle (Euston) a year ago, and it had the equipment, but I
don't think it was available yet. It looked like a standard ethernet
jack, so I'd say you'd be fine if you bring an ethernet cable. They have
wi-fi in the lounges.

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old January 18th 05, 01:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

wrote:

mike wrote:

I'm planning to stay at the Thistle Marble Arch in a few weeks, all ther
Thistle Hotels in Lond have "thistle connect" high speed internet access in
rooms. I contacted the hotel and asked if I need any special equipment/wires
etc.......

they said "normal connection wires should be fine"........really indepth
answer as you can see, after enquiring further they said "Your normal
connection wire form your laptop to telephone socket".....

has anyone here used thistle connect? & what exactly should I take? my
laptop has an ethernet port & wifi, no modem

I was in a Thistle (Euston) a year ago, and it had the equipment, but I
don't think it was available yet. It looked like a standard ethernet
jack, so I'd say you'd be fine if you bring an ethernet cable. They have
wi-fi in the lounges.

A bit of web research shows that inter-touch provide the service for
Thistle, and they mention ethernet (plus wi-fi in common areas,
conference rooms etc.) so I'm pretty sure you'll be fine.

Out of interest, do other hotels provide guests with high-speed access
using anything other than wi-fi and ethernet nowadays?

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old January 21st 05, 08:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Doherty

Rip off Britain ???

"Stephen Soutar" wrote in message
I have just spent 2 weeks in a Holiday Inn in the US and the broadband
internet access was free. All I had to do was plug their network cable

into
my laptop. Why can't UK hotels do the same.

Stephen.

"John Reid" wrote in message
news
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn wrote :
A bit of web research shows that inter-touch provide the service for
Thistle, and they mention ethernet (plus wi-fi in common areas,

conference
rooms etc.) so I'm pretty sure you'll be fine.

Out of interest, do other hotels provide guests with high-speed access
using anything other than wi-fi and ethernet nowadays?

All the ones I have stayed in recently (including the Tower Thistle)

have
Ethernet connections in the rooms, and cables usually in the wardrobe,

or
of the extending type. Wifi in the public spaces. Same in the Crowne
Plazas I use as well, although the rooms do not always have the kit. You
can usually ask to be in one which is equipped.

My only complaint is the cost.

--
John
Mail sent to the reply address will be binned automatically.

Old January 21st 05, 09:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Reid

Tony Doherty wrote :
Rip off Britain ???

No, it is by no means unique to the UK. Similar rates are charged (in my
personal experience) in the Netherlands, Belgium, Italy and France, and
not much less in the USA.

No, its just a rip off world, especially in the hotel sector.

Old January 21st 05, 09:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 12:39:55 -0000, "mike"
strung together this:

they said "normal connection wires should be fine"........really indepth
answer as you can see, after enquiring further they said "Your normal
connection wire form your laptop to telephone socket".....

As it appears to be pretty unanymous that it's ethernet I'd leave the
cat5 cable in the car and try plugging a normal modem lead in and then
annoy the dim people behind the reception desk. take a couple of
different types of leads and adaptors in to confuse them but make sure
none of them will work no matter how they are plugged in.
--

SJW
Old January 21st 05, 10:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wade

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 12:39:55 -0000, "mike"
strung together this:

they said "normal connection wires should be fine"........really indepth
answer as you can see, after enquiring further they said "Your normal
connection wire form your laptop to telephone socket".....

As it appears to be pretty unanymous that it's ethernet I'd leave the
cat5 cable in the car and try plugging a normal modem lead in and then
annoy the dim people behind the reception desk. take a couple of
different types of leads and adaptors in to confuse them but make sure
none of them will work no matter how they are plugged in.
--

Most Hotels that I have used with this feature have the lead in the room

SJW

Old January 21st 05, 11:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 22:04:52 -0000, "David Wade"

********! Don't bother with my idea then. ;-)
--

SJW
Old January 22nd 05, 06:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Blunt

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 21:30:54 +0000, John Reid
wrote:

Tony Doherty wrote :
Rip off Britain ???

No, it is by no means unique to the UK. Similar rates are charged (in my
personal experience) in the Netherlands, Belgium, Italy and France, and
not much less in the USA.

No, its just a rip off world, especially in the hotel sector.

Hotels I've stayed at recently in Hong Kong and in Thailand both
charged about 10 a day for in-room internet access.

Chris

Old January 22nd 05, 10:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

Chris Blunt wrote:

Rip off Britain ???

No, it is by no means unique to the UK. Similar rates are charged (in my
personal experience) in the Netherlands, Belgium, Italy and France, and
not much less in the USA.

No, its just a rip off world, especially in the hotel sector.

Hotels I've stayed at recently in Hong Kong and in Thailand both
charged about 10 a day for in-room internet access.

Recent US experience was USD 10 per 24 hour period from initial sign up
and login, in Paris last week it was EUR 15 per day (it wasn't clear how
the clock worked and I could see an overnight stay being charged as two
days of interent access).

Still cheaper than 3G/GPRS roaming charges - and I could stream radio.