Which ADSL modem?

Old January 19th 05, 10:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete Griffiths`

Default Which ADSL modem?

Hi,

We are moving from ISDN to ADSL now that our exchange has been enabled. We
currently have a Cisco ISDN router which hooks up to a Symantec VPN100
firewall. It seems we simply need to replace the Cisco router with an ADSL
ethernet modem - but most of these seem to have built in firewall
functionality that we don't want.

Any thoughts?

--
Pete Griffiths
Idonix Ltd

Old January 19th 05, 10:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Zardoz

Hi,

We are moving from ISDN to ADSL now that our exchange has been enabled. We
currently have a Cisco ISDN router which hooks up to a Symantec VPN100
firewall. It seems we simply need to replace the Cisco router with an ADSL
ethernet modem - but most of these seem to have built in firewall
functionality that we don't want.

Any thoughts?

Many upgraders are getting rid of USB modems on ebay - I was going to
do the same (Sagem 800) but they're there only fetching about 5. If
it's cheap you want that's the way to go.

I've just noticed your ethernet requirement which invalidates my
post... oh well. :-)
Old January 19th 05, 11:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Pete Griffiths` wrote:

We are moving from ISDN to ADSL now that our exchange has been enabled. We
currently have a Cisco ISDN router which hooks up to a Symantec VPN100
firewall. It seems we simply need to replace the Cisco router with an ADSL
ethernet modem -

I'd stick with a router, rather than go "back" to a modem
Is your cisco upgradeable to take an ADSL WIC card?

I picked up a USRobotics 2x ethernet ADSL router on ebay for 30 for a
relative ...

but most of these seem to have built in firewall
functionality that we don't want.

Either turn it off or let everything through for your other firewall to
deal with ...
Old January 19th 05, 11:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete Griffiths`

Re upgrading the router - it's a thought - i'll check it out...

If I buy a new modem c/w firewall, and simply turn off the firewall
functionality, will there not still be extra overhead there?

Old January 19th 05, 11:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Pete Griffiths` wrote:

Re upgrading the router - it's a thought - i'll check it out...

knowing cisco it will probably cost you more than to buy a new one
elsewhere :-(

If I buy a new modem c/w firewall, and simply turn off the firewall
functionality, will there not still be extra overhead there?

perhaps some, but it won't be "too much" as the device is built to
expect it, and as you say it's getting difficult to find adsl diveices
without firewall (most of which are really just NAT rules)