Domain hosting/registration suggestions?

Old January 20th 05, 02:00 PM posted to alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.telecom.broadband
Nick Shipman

Default Domain hosting/registration suggestions?

I'm looking for suggestions on domain hosting. What
I think I need is a company that:

- can take over a .co.uk domain name from its current
maintainer with no interruption in service

- can provide primary hosting for the domain's zone,
plus all secondary hosting deemed appropriate

- provides (and will continue to provide) a means of
editing ALL aspects of the domain's zone file, not
just A and MX, including adding glue and NS records
for subordinate domains hosted on external
nameservers

- is generally thought reliable, doesn't seem to make
stupid mistakes, and is accessible when problems
arise.

There are lots of domain name resellers and domain
hosting companies with pretty Web interfaces to their
primary zone files, but it's not clear exactly what you
can and cannot do with these systems.

Background:

My company currently runs an in-house DNS server which
acts as the primary nameserver for the company's
domain. Our ISP's DNS servers then act as secondary
nameservers. As well as performing secondary hosting,
the ISP registered and maintains the domain name.

One benefit of this arrangement is that we have
complete control of the domain's zone, and we can and
do freely modify all the DNS records, glue subordinate
domains onto our top-level domain, and generally mess
around without having to contact the ISP.

We will shortly be relocating, and we will need to make
new domain renewal and hosting arrangements. I'd prefer
not to continue hosting the zone master in house, as the
master would have to move address a few times over the
next few months, but could do that if there were no
alternative.

Any recommendations or other thoughts would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick
--
Nick Shipman
Quatrain Information Limited
Old January 20th 05, 02:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Cummins

In article ,
(Nick Shipman) wrote:

I'm looking for suggestions on domain hosting.

gradwell.com

--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981
Old January 20th 05, 09:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Paul Cummins wrote:

gradwell.com

seconded