Best modem/router for broadband

Old January 20th 05, 06:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
neil

Default Best modem/router for broadband

I'm probably going to signup with Nildram or Zen, but just wonderin
which would be the best Modem/Router to use (I'll probably want to
give my brother a connection).

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Old January 20th 05, 10:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

neil wrote:
I'm probably going to signup with Nildram or Zen, but just wonderin
which would be the best Modem/Router to use (I'll probably want to
give my brother a connection).

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

What is going to be the main usage & how much are you willing to pay??

Old January 20th 05, 10:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
neil

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 19:08:11 -0000, "Baron" wrote:

forget zen, go with ndoco.uk
"neil" wrote in message
.. .
I'm probably going to signup with Nildram or Zen, but just wonderin
which would be the best Modem/Router to use (I'll probably want to
give my brother a connection).

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

ndo? I've never heard much about them, Nildram was the one I was
opting for though (I'm an FPS gamer too). Has anyone had any problems
with the dslSurf500 package from Nildram??

Was lookin at that Netgear router (DG834), seemed to have got decent
reviews.
Old January 20th 05, 10:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

"neil" wrote in message
I'm probably going to signup with Nildram or Zen, but just wonderin
which would be the best Modem/Router to use (I'll probably want to
give my brother a connection).

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

ndo? I've never heard much about them, Nildram was the one I was
opting for though (I'm an FPS gamer too). Has anyone had any problems
with the dslSurf500 package from Nildram??

Was lookin at that Netgear router (DG834), seemed to have got decent
reviews.

Not if you're going to be using any P2P services to any great extent....

Old January 20th 05, 11:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 20 Jan 2005 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Baron" wrote:

"neil" wrote in message
.. .
I'm probably going to signup with Nildram or Zen, but just wonderin

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

forget zen, go with ndoco.uk

While I can understand "any suggestions ... appreciated" might lead you
to make the follow up, it does beg the question why someone should even
consider an "unknown" when you have given no reasoned argument for them
not considering Zen... 0/10 Try Again :-) Peter M.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

(sig posted originally by other(s))
Old January 20th 05, 11:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 20 Jan 2005 in uk.telecom.broadband, neil wrote:

which would be the best Modem/Router to use (I'll probably want to
give my brother a connection). Any suggestions ...

a) have you decided you want wired or wireless (I cannot tell how
far it is to your brother's PC, but I know plenty of home users
with several PCs wired into one router very happily :-) Have
also set up a friend with a Belkin wireless, very happy :-)

b) have you any ideas for what your "best" should provide ? (or,
perhaps as important, what budget you have available to spend!)
Some will recommend the cheapest kit (Belkin, Dabsvalue, Ebuyer)
and others would suggest mid-range or expensive gear, so "best"
will rather depend on your needs, won't it ? Peter M.
Old January 21st 05, 02:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Best quality ? This side of very expensive Cisco or Orinoco there is only
one choice:
Draytek Vigor range, very good, very reliable, all mod cons, but not cheap.
You should consider one with VoIP port(s), likely to become 'must have' item
soon.
Regards,
Martin

Old January 21st 05, 02:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
neil

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 23:39:05 +0000, Peter M
wrote:

On 20 Jan 2005 in uk.telecom.broadband, neil wrote:

which would be the best Modem/Router to use (I'll probably want to
give my brother a connection). Any suggestions ...

a) have you decided you want wired or wireless (I cannot tell how
far it is to your brother's PC, but I know plenty of home users
with several PCs wired into one router very happily :-) Have
also set up a friend with a Belkin wireless, very happy :-)

b) have you any ideas for what your "best" should provide ? (or,
perhaps as important, what budget you have available to spend!)
Some will recommend the cheapest kit (Belkin, Dabsvalue, Ebuyer)
and others would suggest mid-range or expensive gear, so "best"
will rather depend on your needs, won't it ? Peter M.

a) Definitely wired connection. I feel a little more secure than the
other counterpart (or lack of). The other computer (brothers) is just
downstairs, literally under the stairs and that computer is beside the
master phone jack, dunno how much use that information would be to ya.

b) I've no idea, at the moment I'm using a 56k dialup modem and would
be happy enough just gettin out of the flintstone era. But I can say
this, I'm only a student so the cost can't be over the top hehe,
secuity is a concern because I'd most likely have my (not my brothers)
computer online pretty much 24hrs per day, and I don't want it to
strain the bandwidth too much as I'm lookin as low ping as possible on
FPS gaming servers.

That ain't too much is it ;-) I was lookin at adslguide and they gave
Netgear DG834 (router) a nice review. So was really wondering if I
should get that? As I say, I'm still in the 56k days and dunno about
hese things, so advice is welcome.

Thanks.
Old January 21st 05, 02:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
neil

"neil" wrote in message
I'm probably going to signup with Nildram or Zen, but just wonderin
which would be the best Modem/Router to use (I'll probably want to
give my brother a connection).

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

ndo? I've never heard much about them, Nildram was the one I was
opting for though (I'm an FPS gamer too). Has anyone had any problems
with the dslSurf500 package from Nildram??

Was lookin at that Netgear router (DG834), seemed to have got decent
reviews.

Not if you're going to be using any P2P services to any great extent....

Are you talking about the Netgear router? What the problem with the
router and P2P?

Thanks.