Linksys Wireless security query:

Old January 20th 05, 09:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gel

Default Linksys Wireless security query:

As I gather WEP security is weak, are the other 2 options on my WAG54
Wireless Router any better ie
Radius
WPA pre Shared key
WPA Radius

Thanks

Old January 20th 05, 10:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Gel wrote:

As I gather WEP security is weak, are the other 2 options on my WAG54
Wireless Router any better ie
Radius
WPA pre Shared key
WPA Radius

Thanks

WPA is a fair bit better than WEP. If it's for domestic use, WPA-PSK is the
one to use. The others require a Radius server - which you're unlikely to
have!

Don't forget also to use MAC address filtering, and to change the SSID and
admin password to something other than the default values, and to turn off
SSID broadcasting.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old January 20th 05, 10:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On 20 Jan 2005 13:34:38 -0800, "Gel"
wrote:

As I gather WEP security is weak, are the other 2 options on my WAG54
Wireless Router any better ie
Radius
WPA pre Shared key
WPA Radius

Yes.

WPA Pre-shared key is significantly stronger then WEP (not that 128
bit WEP is exactly "weak").

WPA Radius server is not practical for most home users. It requires a
computer to be on all the time, which will act as the server.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Not many people realize just how well known I am.

Old January 20th 05, 10:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gel

Thanks 4 that; 1 more question, I see there are 2 options for this
option
ie
tkip
or
aes

any suggestion?

Old January 21st 05, 01:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Tiscali Tim wrote:

turn off SSID broadcasting.

That might add a small extra amount of obfuscation, but it doesn't
actually stop anyone who wants to see your SSID from seeing it ...
Old January 21st 05, 10:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Andy Burns wrote:

Tiscali Tim wrote:

turn off SSID broadcasting.

That might add a small extra amount of obfuscation, but it doesn't
actually stop anyone who wants to see your SSID from seeing it ...

Agreed. If someone is sufficiently determined to break into your network -
or your house or car for that matter - they'll do it. But you nevertheless
make it as difficult as you can for them, to deter opportunists.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old January 21st 05, 08:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Doherty

"Gel" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks 4 that; 1 more question, I see there are 2 options for this
option
ie
tkip
or
aes

any suggestion?

Use TKIP

You'll find that the AES selection on the WAG54G does not yet work with the
current firmware versions.

AES is to be WPA mark 2 (i.e. more secure) when it generally becomes
available.