(REPOST) Can someone recommend a free text only no-binaries news service please?

Old January 21st 05, 10:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Zardoz

Default (REPOST) Can someone recommend a free text only no-binaries news service please?

because my clara account is hard to post to (lots of connection
refused) and unfiltered (if I want China Girl phone sex I'll google)

cheers

(REPOSTED cos it dodn't show on my server the first time round...)

Old January 21st 05, 10:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Zardoz:

http://news.individual.net/

Old January 21st 05, 01:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 21 Jan 2005 in uk.telecom.broadband, Zardoz wrote:

because my clara account is hard to post to (lots of connection
refused) and unfiltered (if I want China Girl phone sex I'll google)

a) don't know of many which are filtered - easy to set a limit to not
download posts longer than N lines (100 or 50 or whatever) to stop a
lot of the junk, though depends on news reader of course...

b) www.individual.net would seem a popular choice (Berlin Univ) but
I have never tried it. I "registered" for TeraNews.com which has a
50 MB daily limit, carries binaries, and had a one-off fee of a few
( under 5 ) dollars, so a couple of quid. Has been fairly reliable
but hardly gets daily use from me, just handy as a reserve/checker.

I assume you had the Claranet 9.99/year account. I was quite happy to
have that, then considered the 29.99/year a/c (with domain etc) but if
you have been getting rejections, then one cause is if your IP changes
or more than one IP attempts to use the server. I have one ISP with a
fixed IP and one with Dynamic so routed all requests through the fixed
IP service to ensure any second/subsequent connection would be using a
known IP addres. Peter Morgan.

30 day free trial... http://web.vfm-deals.com/runbox/
Old January 21st 05, 08:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
zardoz

I assume you had the Claranet 9.99/year account. I was quite happy to
have that, then considered the 29.99/year a/c (with domain etc) but if
you have been getting rejections, then one cause is if your IP changes
or more than one IP attempts to use the server.

Thanks for the link :-)

I've got the 30 quid / year a/c. I don't use it from home and work at
the same time (they do provide a sensible error in this case) but the
service at my new firm seems iffy.

Cheers .
Old January 22nd 05, 02:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 21 Jan 2005 in uk.telecom.broadband, zardoz wrote:

I've got the 30 quid / year a/c. I don't use it from home and work at
the same time (they do provide a sensible error in this case) but the
service at my new firm seems iffy.

Might be an idea to see if you can use something like pingplotter (I'm
fairly sure there's still the original v1 for free) and try that for a
day or two pinging every 5 minutes, to build up some track of your new
firms connection stability... I know Clara sometimes has a few probs,
but would suspect other things if you have just seen a deterioration,
coinciding with a change of your connection. Peter M.

See http://www.pingplotter.com/download.html version v1.10 is free.
Old January 22nd 05, 04:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
Thus spaketh Zardoz:
because my clara account is hard to post to (lots of connection
refused) and unfiltered (if I want China Girl phone sex I'll
google) cheers

(REPOSTED cos it dodn't show on my server the first time round...)

http://news.individual.net/

How long does it take to get registered for them..? Been two days now and
apart from the auto response email to my request, nothing.

Ivor

Old January 23rd 05, 04:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Ivor Jones:
{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
Thus spaketh Zardoz:
because my clara account is hard to post to (lots of connection
refused) and unfiltered (if I want China Girl phone sex I'll
google) cheers

(REPOSTED cos it dodn't show on my server the first time round...)

http://news.individual.net/

How long does it take to get registered for them..? Been two days now
and apart from the auto response email to my request, nothing.

Ivor

Only took a couple of days for me, depends on when in the week you applied I
think.