Losing wireless capability when PC is off (Belkin F5D7630-4A)

Old January 21st 05, 01:02 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
David Wright

Default Losing wireless capability when PC is off (Belkin F5D7630-4A)

Odd one this.

My Belkin F5D7630-4A Wireless Router/ADSL Modem has quite happily existed
for three weeks in a solely wireless environment, with both my Win2K laptops
happily connecting to it and providing lots of lovely wireless surfing.

Yesterday, having rebuilt it after a HDD crash, I decided to let my WinXP
Home desktop PC in on the action, not wirelessly - but by connecting a patch
cable from it to the router.

I made no configuration changes on the PC, and it happily worked straight
off on the internet through this wired connection.

But now I have a problem. The two wireless laptops can now only connect to
the wireless network when the PC is switched on! If the PC is switched on,
both it and the two wireless laptops will happily co-exist and be able to
use the internet connection. If the PC is off, the two laptops can still see
the wireless network, but cannot connect to it.

How can this be?? Any clues please!

David.

Old January 21st 05, 03:29 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Brian

Have you checked your router interface/maybe reset MAC addresses.

Regards [email protected]

Old January 21st 05, 08:06 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
cw

When all are connected, do a traceroute from one of the laptops and see
where it goes.
I don't know what causes it but I have seen some bizarre behaviour like
this before and it was completely independant of the router being used.

Two wired pcs through a cable connection. Neither were running anything
special but for some bizarre reason one of the PCs decided it was going to
act as a DHCP server and router for the other PC. To muddle it even more,
when that PC was off, the second PC would refuse to get a DHCP address from
the real DHCP server.

The solution? Well in the case above I gave the second PC static IP
addressing. Try that and see what happens.

--
Colin