Plusnet BB - what about email?

Old January 21st 05, 09:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R Morris

Default Plusnet BB - what about email?

I'm looking hard at upgrading to broadband and am attracted to the
Plusnet £14.99 package. Especially now that I've noticed Plusnet people
responding in this NG.

What I can't find anywhere in Plusnet's web site is whether the package
includes email accounts and if so how many email addresses can be used.

I use either Mail or MS Entourage on an iMac with MacOS 10.3.7

The term "Webmail" occurs but is not explained and I don't understand
what it means.

Can anyone explain these things or point me to places where I can find
the information.

Currently using dial-up to freeserve (the pay-as-you-go option although
that is probably not the correct name) so can register more than one
email name without charge.

Thank you

--
Roger
Old January 21st 05, 09:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

R Morris wrote:
I'm looking hard at upgrading to broadband and am attracted to the
Plusnet ?14.99 package. Especially now that I've noticed Plusnet people
responding in this NG.

What I can't find anywhere in Plusnet's web site is whether the package
includes email accounts and if so how many email addresses can be used.

I'm with plusnet (mauve is the account ID).
Plusnet provide you with the @username.mauve.com, you set up the first bit
yourself.

There is one default mailbox - this gets everything sent to @username.plus.com

You don't need to setup any email addresses at plusnet if you don't want
to, you can just do it in your email client.
You can have as many email addresses as you like - millions if you want.

For several people using the same account, you can seperate it out by creating
individual mailboxes (limited to 5?).
These will pick up mail addressed to (for example)
and have a seperate password, the email for these is not picked up with the
default password.
Old January 21st 05, 09:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Ian Stirling wrote:
R Morris wrote:
I'm looking hard at upgrading to broadband and am attracted to the
Plusnet ?14.99 package. Especially now that I've noticed Plusnet people
responding in this NG.

What I can't find anywhere in Plusnet's web site is whether the package
includes email accounts and if so how many email addresses can be used.

I'm with plusnet (mauve is the account ID).
Plusnet provide you with the @username.mauve.com, you set up the first bit
yourself.

There is one default mailbox - this gets everything sent to @username.plus.com

You don't need to setup any email addresses at plusnet if you don't want
to, you can just do it in your email client.
You can have as many email addresses as you like - millions if you want.

For several people using the same account, you can seperate it out by creating
individual mailboxes (limited to 5?).

Checking the webpage, I find that it's unlimited.

Webmail is just an alternative way to get at the mail - it works the same
way as POP3/... as a way of collecting email.
Old January 21st 05, 11:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Plusnet provide you with the @username.plus.com, you set up the first bit
yourself.

There is one default mailbox - this gets everything sent to @username.plus.com

You don't need to setup any email addresses at plusnet if you don't want
to, you can just do it in your email client, or if your email client
(as many do) will accept any incoming email, then you don't even need
to set it up - just give out addresses.

So, for example you can (when away from computer) give people an email
address that will work, and will let you track if they are giving
it away. Something like , if it's them requesting
your email address. (for example)

You can have as many email addresses as you like - billions if you want.

Old January 22nd 05, 12:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 21:06:28 +0000, lid
(R Morris) wrote:

I'm looking hard at upgrading to broadband and am attracted to the
Plusnet £14.99 package. Especially now that I've noticed Plusnet people
responding in this NG.

What I can't find anywhere in Plusnet's web site is whether the package
includes email accounts and if so how many email addresses can be used.

It does.

You have as many mailboxes as you like of the form

So make sure you choose your username carefully, as all your email
addresses will be of that form.

I use either Mail or MS Entourage on an iMac with MacOS 10.3.7

If they can access email using PoP3, then they will work fine with
Plusnet.

For the default mailbox (which will receive ANY email sent to your
domain that doesn't have one of the mailbox names you have set up, you
just put username in the user field. For any of the mailboxes you set
up, it is "username+mailbox" (and yes, that is the "+" symbol between
the two. In either case, the server is mail.plus.net for incoming, and
relay.plus.net or relay1.plus.net for outgoing.

The term "Webmail" occurs but is not explained and I don't understand
what it means.

There is a facility on the Plusnet website for members to pick up
their email via the website. Useful if you are going to be away from
home, where you have web access, but not your own computer.

Old January 22nd 05, 12:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

I am a plusnet user and can agree with most of what Ian says.

However his solution for providing multiple mail boxes won't work.
Plusnet effectively provides only one mailbox which is at
.

When you connect to their POP server, everything is normally downloaded
to you.
The plusnet main account name is what is entered in the 'incoming server
account name' box and 'password' is your main login password when you
are setting up accounts in Outlook Express.

The only way to create multiple mailboxes is to have different message
rules in different accounts in Outlook Express (or similar) for each
person wanting an e-mail account. These must be something like 'only
download messages with (required username) in the subject line'

Obviously if one user wishes access to several e-mail accounts, there
must be multiple message rules

Mike

Old January 22nd 05, 02:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

As others explained you can have 'unlimited' mailboxes, but if it is a
bother,
you can sign up for PAYG PlusNet acc. and have another totally separate
email for the wife,
fully accessible through you PlusNet BB connection.
BTW you can also continue to use your freeserve email(s), just set it to use
PlusNet SMTP server.
If you do go with PlusNet please use my id 'jerryw' as a referrer, it will
save me 25p/m,
thanks, regards,
Martin

Old January 22nd 05, 02:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 00:25:13 +0000, m wrote:

I am a plusnet user and can agree with most of what Ian says.

However his solution for providing multiple mail boxes won't work.
Plusnet effectively provides only one mailbox which is at
.

When you connect to their POP server, everything is normally downloaded
to you.
The plusnet main account name is what is entered in the 'incoming server
account name' box and 'password' is your main login password when you
are setting up accounts in Outlook Express.

The only way to create multiple mailboxes is to have different message
rules in different accounts in Outlook Express (or similar) for each
person wanting an e-mail account. These must be something like 'only
download messages with (required username) in the subject line'

This is complete and utter rubbish.

Just because *you* don't know how to do it does not mean the rest of
us don't.

Neither Ian nor I would have posted details regarding multiple
mailboxes unless we had actually *used* the facility, particularly in
the detail that I did.

I have 4 separate mailboxes set up, plus the default one. I sues Agent
to download my main one, my wife uses OE to download the second, and I
use Eudora for the other two, and the default.

Now if you could just explain how defining rules in your mail client
allows the mail to be diverted to three different clients, I'd be
interested to hear it :-)

Old January 22nd 05, 03:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 22 Jan 2005 in uk.telecom.broadband,
"Martin²" wrote:

you can have 'unlimited' mailboxes, but if it is a bother, you can sign
up for PAYG PlusNet acc. and have another totally separate email for the
wife, fully accessible through you PlusNet BB connection.

However, you could also consider a free POP mailbox from yahoo.co.uk for
incoming mail (and use the forwarding facility from Plus.Net to send it
on), which also provides access via a browser (aka 'webmail'). While
I'm also a Plus.Net customer, there have been a fair number of problems
with incoming mail (most recent was a couple of days or so when some were
unable to collect mail at all - quite a pain if using mail for something
concerning business or cash - eg using Ebay or getting acknowledgement of
a cash transfer or tickets/goods being purchased... more and more things
such as mail lists also send a link/authorisation/activation code to your
mail address and some have a limited time window for confirmation to be
made, so a gap in mail of 48+ hours is a pain!)

BTW you can also continue to use your freeserve email(s), just set it
to use PlusNet SMTP server.

There have been recent posts about switching from one ISP to another and
keeping old mail accounts going, since stopping dial-up will normally end
in an account being suspended eventually. Nothing to stop the poster from
getting mail from the old Freeserve address, but in the long run, after a
dozen or more ISPs, it may be easier to register a domain (eg from some
service like Hostroute.co.uk or 123-reg.co.uk or ukreg.com) and get your
mail addressed directly to you that way, 'forever' rather than having
some tie to an ISP (and after about 8 years of using a mail address of
the ISP was taken over, by a big cable firm, and all
who had a mail address @ultranet.com were changed to

so there's no guarantee of some ISP address staying working forever!!

(Also, for a period before Christmas one could get a free .info domain,
and while a few firms may have considered them to be used by spammers,
a number of my clients have chosen to register familynamefamily.info
so they can have
(it was free when .info was free
but there are still some good deals around for .org, .org.uk, .com etc
but I personally avoid .uk and the others can often be registered for
up to 10 years, so no messy 'renew every 2 years' and junk Nominet has
in store for you (oh, and you can hide your home details for under
US $1 and not get junk mail from spammers if you look around :-)

My other ISP : UK Free Software Network http://www.ukfsn.org
Old January 22nd 05, 10:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Alex Heney wrote:
[...]

So sorry Alex and Ian.

I didn't mean to say that you were both talking rubbish either.

When I chose Plusnet over a year ago, they were not offering this
facility and so we have both kept our selection of e-mail adresses from
previous ISPs and never needed to investigate Plusnet e-mail further.

This is very good news as, although I have found Plusnet very good, I
had always thought they were more of a 'Business' service without a good
'domestic' e-mail service.

This changes everything and so I would be happy to recommend them in future.

Mike

PS - (friendly) curse to you both, I will now have to find time to play
with this!!