Which ADSL Wireless Router Supports WDS (Wireless Distribution System)

Old January 21st 05, 10:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Deshi Miah

Default Which ADSL Wireless Router Supports WDS (Wireless Distribution System)

Hi I have the Linksys WAG54G ADSL Wireless Router and the Buffalo
WLA2-G54C 54Mbps Airstation Wireless Bridge/Repeater.

The Airstation support WDS however the linksys does not.

I'm not sure how I can connect my wired network using these 2 systems,
is it possible to get Internet connection to a wired network. If not
which routers support WDS, or do I not need this, as my wired network
has no wireless clients.

Any advise welomed.

Regards

deshi
*
Old January 22nd 05, 02:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

You need two wireless bridge units, preferably, but not necessarily the same
ones.
I don't think your WAG54G can work as a bridge.
Regards,
Martin

Old January 22nd 05, 10:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Allan Anderson

"Deshi Miah" wrote in message
om...
Hi I have the Linksys WAG54G ADSL Wireless Router and the Buffalo
WLA2-G54C 54Mbps Airstation Wireless Bridge/Repeater.

The Airstation support WDS however the linksys does not.

I'm not sure how I can connect my wired network using these 2 systems,
is it possible to get Internet connection to a wired network. If not
which routers support WDS, or do I not need this, as my wired network
has no wireless clients.

Any advise welomed.

Regards

deshi

I recently upgraded my WAG54G firmware to 1.02.7 and under 'Wireless' there
is now a WDS Settings tab, with provision for eight MACs to be specified.

--
Allan Anderson

{Please reply to newsgroup. My email address has TRAPs.}

Old January 22nd 05, 10:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 22/01/2005 Allan Anderson wrote:

I recently upgraded my WAG54G firmware to 1.02.7 and under 'Wireless'
there is now a WDS Settings tab, with provision for eight MACs to be
specified.

Allan

I have only been able to find 1.02.1 on the Linksys site, do you have a
link for the version you downloaded please?

I find their terminology a bit confusing, I assume I need 'Annex A' for
the standard WAG54G since the 'Annex B' notes refer to ASDL over ISDN.

--
Jeff Gaines
Posted with XanaNews 1.17.1.2
Old January 23rd 05, 12:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Allan Anderson

"Jeff Gaines" wrote in message
On 22/01/2005 Allan Anderson wrote:

I recently upgraded my WAG54G firmware to 1.02.7 and under 'Wireless'
there is now a WDS Settings tab, with provision for eight MACs to be
specified.

Allan

I have only been able to find 1.02.1 on the Linksys site, do you have a
link for the version you downloaded please?

I find their terminology a bit confusing, I assume I need 'Annex A' for
the standard WAG54G since the 'Annex B' notes refer to ASDL over ISDN.

--
Jeff Gaines
Posted with XanaNews 1.17.1.2

Jeff

It's funny you should say that. I'd already noticed that 1.02.07 didn't
appear there. I can't remember where I downloaded from, but think it must
have been from usual place.

Have just looked at a quick Google and others have noticed its apparent
withdrawal. The only possible problem I've noticed is the lack of entries
in the wireless client table. My requirements of the router are possibly
not as demanding as others'.

Old January 23rd 05, 09:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 23/01/2005 Allan Anderson wrote:

Have just looked at a quick Google and others have noticed its
apparent withdrawal. The only possible problem I've noticed is the
lack of entries in the wireless client table. My requirements of the
router are possibly not as demanding as others'.

Thanks Allan, I'll wait a couple of weeks and check again.

--
Jeff Gaines
Posted with XanaNews 1.17.1.2
Old January 23rd 05, 04:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NewsGroupQuestion

Default Linksys WAG54G 1.02.7 download

I E-Mailed Linksys UK support and was sent a link to 1.02.7:

Annex A (plain ADSL) =
ftp://ftp.linksys.com/international/....7_03_code.bin

Hope this helps but while I'm on, I have the following to observe / ask
about 1.02.7:

I have a WAG54G - uk version.

I had a couple of queries - 1. field length for the E-Mail address on
E-Mail alerts (Administration / Reporting) and 2. when WPA is set, the
status / wireless encryption entry indicates disabled. I was convinced by
Linksys support to upgrade to the latest release of firmware even though
everything else appeared to be working. Neither issue has been addressed
and now, the E-Mail alerts no longer work. I advised Linksys and they say
to see their web site as WPA isn't supported on the WAG54G.

Of course WPA is supported as I have set it up on both my adapter and
gateway to get it working otherwise I wouldn't have a connection! Also,
their web site product data sheet clearly states that WPA is a feature of
the WAG54G.

So, ignoring the "disabled" entry as being simply an indicator that is
wrong, has anyone got E-Mail alerts working with firmware version 1.02.7?
This was working in 1.01.6.

Luckily for me, touch wood, everything else that I use seems okay as looking
around the new groups and forums, Linksys products and firmware seem to be
highly problematic.

I have nothing 'fancy' set i.e. default settings except for the standard
security changes e.g. SSID broadcast disabled, SSID name change, WPA / TKIP
enabled, MAC address permissions.

Any clues on the E-Mail alerts welcomed....also if there's a work round on
the E-Mail field length so that I can use the E-Mail address I want instead
of having to use a shorter, larger unused address.

Thanks..