Trouble with new Draytek Vigor 2500 ADSL modem/router

Old January 22nd 05, 01:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Trouble with new Draytek Vigor 2500 ADSL modem/router

Hi all - can anyone help?

I got a Draytek Vigor 2600WE Wireless ADSL modem/router back in Nov 2003
and it has been superb.

On that basis I just purchased yesterday a 2500 for use
at a friends house.
It arrived this morning and so I thought I would check it out here first.

The LAN part works fine.

Setting up the ADSL/WAN part has been a problem. Using both my ISP
(Plusnet)and the BT test domain at [email protected]_domain the unit tries
to "authenticate" then goes into "training" and SOMETIMES connects to
the ADSL (BT showtime) part OK showing line speeds up/down OK.
However it won't get an IP automatically from either source and using
"Dial PPoA" button causes system to drop out.

When it is connected briefly, the diagnostics worryingly say s/n -1dB
and loop attenuation approx 39dB whereas the 2600 shows s/n 33dB and
Attn 40dB.
I know my line is quite long and at times is a bit audio noisy but the
2600 spectrum analysis is OK and the 2600 copes very well.

I called Broadband Buyer (where it came from)and the very helpful guy on
the phone did say that the 2600 was a particularly good modem and maybe
the 2500 is not so good.

He suggested I e-mail to their support desk to see if they had any ideas.

This is the reply I got back:-

The support desk had spoken to draytek regarding this issue, and they
had stated that the following solution below should resolve your issue.

Can you please try the following:

Step 1: Telnet onto the router via command prompt or hyper terminal

Step 2: Type the following:

adsl optn 3 0 (then press return)

adsl optn 5 0 (then press return)

adsl optn 6 0 (then press return)

adsl savecfg (then press return)

adsl reboot (then press return)

Once this is done, you should notice that you can gain a stable connection
to the ADSL line.

This was my result and what I wrote back to them:-

Just tried that(using telnet to port 23) and all seemed OK. All telnet
commands got expected reply.

First of all did it without ADSL connected and not worked so, in case
that was wrong, tried again with ADSL connected.

Re-booted via telnet as told and also re-set via power on/off.

Still no success. If anything, slightly worseand never found data at all

It may be that my friends line is better but it doesn't get enabled until
next Monday and I don't want to disappoint him.

Any suggestions?

Mike

Old January 22nd 05, 10:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 00:04:06 +0000, m wrote:

[...]

A couple:
1) Are you using the power supply that came with the unit; not all Draytek units have the same power
requirements
2) Send it back as a faulty unit which can be checked out and returned if OK or replaced with
something you know well, ie a 2600.
David Bradley
Old January 22nd 05, 11:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill

m wrote:
[...]

Duff phone lead ? One of a pair I bought had that, but completely
afunctional to the colleague who was trying to connect in a rural place.
A high tech IDC restoration tool (quick bash with a screwdriver to you
!) fixed this, but did cause a deal of frustration at the time.

My 2500 is on Plus so if you need to compare anything ask, but sounds
more hardware to me.

Bill

Old January 26th 05, 02:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Bill wrote:
m wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the offer Bill.

The plot thickens as I also called at another friends with good ADSL to
try it out there. Same problem. Noted that there again his loop loss was
also about 40dB.

Got back and found ADSL enabled (at 17:30 - BT must be working late!!)
so thought I'd try it with fingers & toes crossed.

Blow me if it didn't work OK!!

However the s/n on his line is a quite good 37dB and the loop
attenuation is only 23dB. I guess his line to the exchange is quite
short/good.

It must be that this particular unit only works OK on good low loss
lines. Incidentally it shows downspeed as 2272000 (no not a mistype) but
the ADSLguide speed test gives 460 - perhaps it's a funny reporting
fault in the modem.

Anyway hopefully his (free) frog will arrive soon so I may try that
temporarily and get the 2500 sent back for checking since I have paid
good money for it.

Incidentally as I hadn't fitted the new ADSL splitter/filter faceplate
on the Master Socket at the time (as the filter in the phone side can
slow 56kmodem working and I didn't want to disturb that) I found that,
like on my system at home, the 2500 gives the same results without a
filter (ordinary BT to RJ11 analogue modem leads work OK) and no phones
suffered interferance. However of course, using the phone causes ADSL
dropout with no filter so everyone should always use a filter.
Filtered master sockets are best as using lots of discrete filters
around the house and with the ADSL signals bouncing off them everywhere
is known to cause trouble.

Mike

Old February 17th 09, 09:58 PM
PAG PAG is offline
Junior Member

Hi

Sorry to be a bit off topic.
I gave my 2600WE to my Dad and unfortunately the PSU has failed. If you still have yours would you be able to help ?

Paul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m View Post

Old February 18th 09, 10:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"PAG" wrote in message

Hi

Sorry to be a bit off topic.
I gave my 2600WE to my Dad and unfortunately the PSU has failed. If you
still have yours would you be able to help ?

(snip)

The UK agents http://www.seg.co.uk/ have the replacement PSU for 12 - be
sure you check their web page carefully to order the correct model.

--
Graham J

Old February 18th 09, 04:08 PM
PAG PAG is offline
Junior Member

Hi guys

thanks for that.

Unfortunately SEG no longer have supplies of the PSU for the 2600WE.

Does anyone have an old one they don't need anymore ?

Best regards

Paul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham J View Post