Caller ID failure / ADSL/ filters/batteries - help

Old January 22nd 05, 11:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Frank Stacey

Default Caller ID failure / ADSL/ filters/batteries - help

The caller ID feature on my BT phone stopped working a couple of days ago.
I have had BB for months and caller ID worked happily until this recent
event. BT admitted some problem at the exchange which they assured me this
morning they had fixed. Still no caller ID (so what's new).

Searching through the groups archives I see that caller ID can sometimes be
problematical but no clear reason or solution seems obvious.

The BT engineer asked me to remove all filters and try again. I removed all
filters and disconnected the ADSL modem (router actually) plug. Still no
joy. I am waiting for the BT engineer to check back but he indicated that
what ever way the test went I would have to contact my isp and whatever
happened after that could be costly - hence a quick post here.

One post on the archive claimed that his Caller ID failed because the
battery level on his phone was low. He stated (guessed?) that the ADSL
connection somehow drains his phone battery. All of which sounds a bit far
fetched. However, he also stated that disconnecting his phone from the
phone line overnight and every night has cleared the problem. Is this
really a likely cure? It just so happens that a few days ago I left my
handset off its base for long enough for its battery to become seriously low
so perhaps this is related to the disappearance of caller ID.

Any advice/experience would be appreciated.

Frank

Old January 22nd 05, 05:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gel

Try a change of filter ie for better one, as that has been flagged as
issue in past.
This off Plus net forum:

was having the same problem with Caller Display since ADSL was
activated on my line, and I was told by BT that it's not supported.
However, I saw an article on ADSL Guide (www.adslguide.org.uk) last
week about a 'professional' microfilter which is supposed to work with
Caller Display. It's sold by ADSL Nation
(www.adslnation.com/products/xf-1e.php) and they offer (at the moment)
a 30 day money back guarantee if it doesn't work. I got mine today and
it works ! You don't need to replace all your microfilters, only those
which have phones plugged into them whose Caller Display isn't working.
If you buy one, I suggest that you tell the forum whether it solves the
problem - maybe PlusNet should be informed of this

Old January 22nd 05, 06:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 22/01/2005 Frank Stacey wrote:

The caller ID feature on my BT phone stopped working a couple of days
ago. I have had BB for months and caller ID worked happily until this
recent event. BT admitted some problem at the exchange which they
assured me this morning they had fixed. Still no caller ID (so
what's new).

I had an interesting call from BT after my BB installation a couple of
days ago.

He said 'your colour display is working again now', I said it had been
working all the time and what had ADSL got to do with it. He just
repeated the statement, probably from a script.

I thought that's odd, all I've read about BB while waiting for it
didn't indicate it was only black and white. So I said again it has
always been working since I got it connected, why should the display
not be in colour?

He repeated his script and asked if I could hear him, I said yes but I
didn't know what he was talking about, why should ADSL stop my colour
display from working.

By this time we both thought we were speaking to idiots and I was about
to hang up when he said 'we had to turn colour ID off when we installed
BB but it's on again now' - and finally the penny dropped :-)

I don't know where he was calling from, it was either a really strong
Irish accent or perhaps from further afield.

Sorry, it doesn't help to get yours working again but it seems that it
does work if BT set it up properly.

--
Jeff Gaines
Posted with XanaNews 1.17.1.2