AOL over existing BB Connection?

Old January 22nd 05, 01:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BJH

Default AOL over existing BB Connection?

Hi

Can anyone tell me whether its possible to access AOL over a broadband
connection provided by another ISP? In this case BTConnect.

My friend's wife is connected to BT with a ADSL router and currently shares
the connection with the children's computer. If we can sort the hardware
then it would be nice to connect hubby's PC which currently he is on AOL
dialup.

Your thoughts and comments are welcomed.

--
Best regards
Barry
Old January 22nd 05, 02:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
huLLy

BJH wrote:
Hi

Can anyone tell me whether its possible to access AOL
over a broadband connection provided by another ISP? In
this case BTConnect.

My friend's wife is connected to BT with a ADSL router
and currently shares the connection with the children's
computer. If we can sort the hardware then it would be
nice to connect hubby's PC which currently he is on AOL
dialup.

Your thoughts and comments are welcomed.

Well you can login to AOL from any pc on any network in the world at
www.aol.co.uk

That's about it, though.

--
huLLy
VOIP SIP Phone Number 4823176 on Global Village

Old January 22nd 05, 02:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

Tx2 wrote:

Can anyone tell me whether its possible to access AOL over a broadband
connection provided by another ISP? In this case BTConnect.

My friend's wife is connected to BT with a ADSL router and currently shares
the connection with the children's computer. If we can sort the hardware
then it would be nice to connect hubby's PC which currently he is on AOL
dialup

So you mean, have the AOL software installed on a PC, which in turn
connects to a router already connected to AN Other ISP; you then fire up
the AOL software on the PC and log into it that way utilising the
existing connection?

Ensuring port 5190 isn't blocked on the firewall (as it is used by the
AOL client).
Old January 22nd 05, 05:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Meggahurtz

"BJH" wrote in message
Hi

Can anyone tell me whether its possible to access AOL over a broadband
connection provided by another ISP? In this case BTConnect.

I (Well My Wife ;0) ) uses Aol broadband over NTL Cable (and yes NTL is my
Cable Provider not AOL) , costs 6.99 a month and it`s called "Bring your
own Access"

Old January 22nd 05, 05:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

BJH wrote:
Hi

Can anyone tell me whether its possible to access AOL over a broadband
connection provided by another ISP? In this case BTConnect.

My friend's wife is connected to BT with a ADSL router and currently shares
the connection with the children's computer. If we can sort the hardware
then it would be nice to connect hubby's PC which currently he is on AOL
dialup.

Your thoughts and comments are welcomed.

Get hubby's computer connected to the router and configured so he can
connect with Internet Explorer. Then in the AOL software go into (I
think) expert setup and choose TCP/IP as the connection.

JP
Old January 22nd 05, 06:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BJH

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 17:27:12 GMT, Meggahurtz wrote:

"BJH" wrote in message
Hi

Can anyone tell me whether its possible to access AOL over a broadband
connection provided by another ISP? In this case BTConnect.

I (Well My Wife ;0) ) uses Aol broadband over NTL Cable (and yes NTL is my
Cable Provider not AOL) , costs 6.99 a month and it`s called "Bring your
own Access"

Is that the total cost or an extra cost?

--
Best regards
Barry
Old January 22nd 05, 06:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Meggahurtz

"BJH" wrote in message

Is that the total cost or an extra cost?

It costs 6.99 a month "On Top Of" Your existing Provider.

Old January 22nd 05, 06:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BJH

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 18:14:50 GMT, Meggahurtz wrote:

"BJH" wrote in message

Is that the total cost or an extra cost?

It costs 6.99 a month "On Top Of" Your existing Provider.

That doesn't sound too bad, I guess his existing AOL charge which includes
his dial up will be more than that?

--
Best regards
Barry
Old January 22nd 05, 06:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Meggahurtz

"BJH" wrote in message
On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 18:14:50 GMT, Meggahurtz wrote:
That doesn't sound too bad, I guess his existing AOL charge which includes
his dial up will be more than that?

Yeah it`s 15.99 a month IIRC. so save 9 a month.