DHCP and DNS - BT Voyager 205

Old January 22nd 05, 10:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Man Himself

Default DHCP and DNS - BT Voyager 205

I got a BT Voyager 205 modem/router from a friend and am using it with an
ISP other than BT, so can't go to BT for help on this one - I'm hoping that
somebody here may be able to help....

I've set this router up with 2 PCs (one USB, one UTP) both using dynamic IP
addressing, and both members of the same workgroup.

The DHCP server on the Voyager seems to do its stuff, as each machine gets
an IP address, and I can ping each one OK by address. However, if I try to
ping ping either machine by name, Windows is unable to find the host
(although if I ping by IP address, or hard-code the machine names/addresses
into the hosts file it works OK).

I ran Ethereal packet-sniffer and I can see traffic showing a name query
from one machine, to a.b.c.255, and a name query reponse from the
'target'machine, sent back to the machine requesting the ping.

So.....what could be causing the pinging machine not to identify the IP
address of the machine being pinged and.or to ignore the name query
response?

Help!