Extension Lead for ADSL

Old January 24th 05, 02:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

Default Extension Lead for ADSL

Hello,
Which is best, and why?
Each "solution" is from a single master. There are no other fixed wired extensions installed or any
other apparatus to consider.

1) Plug in two way adapter, plug in ADSL filter one side and feed fax machine. Plug a 6m DIY
extension lead on other side of two way adaptor. At the far end of extension lead add, ADSL filter
and connector to ADSL router.

2) Plug in ADSL fillter and then a two way adapter; on one side connect fax machine. Get from PC
World a special lead that plugs into other side of the two adapter and at the far end connect
directly into the ADSL Router.

3) Positioning the ADSL router next to the master socket, then add whatever length of CAT5e cables
are necessary. Seems a good solution except that a Draytek 2600 plus is being used and I want to use
the USB printer port. I think long USB cables are considered to be some thing not to install. Am I
right in my assumption?

Any other possible solutions please?

David Bradley
Old January 24th 05, 02:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

David Bradley wrote:

[...]

Buy a modified filtered faceplate from Clarity.
http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_bits.htm

Install this in place of the existing faceplate in your master socket. Plug
the fax into the phone outlet on this faceplate. Hardwire a digital
extension into the back of the faceplate - using Cat5 cable - and terminate
it with an RJ45 or RJ11 socket where you want your router to plug in.

Don't mess about with 2-way adaptors or flat phone extension cables -
they're a recipe for unreliability as far as ADSL is concerned. You won't
need plug-in filters either if you follow my suggestion - and the whole
thing will look like somebody owns it!
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old January 24th 05, 03:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 14:18:37 +0000, David Bradley
wrote:

[...]

You will find that almost all ADSL filters have two ports - one
filtered for the hone, and one unfiltered for the ADSL.

So you plug that directly into the master socket, and run the lead
from the ADSL side to your router.

If you need both phone and fax unfiltered, then put a two-way adapter
into the filtered port of the ADSL filter.

The only other sane solution for the above would be a filtered
faceplate, replacing the standard BT faceplate, and plug your two way
adapter into the filtered outlet from that. But the filtered faceplate
costs about three times what a normal filter costs.

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
If ignorance is bliss, you must be ecstatic.

Old January 24th 05, 10:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 14:45:36 -0000, "Tiscali Tim" wrote:

David Bradley wrote:

[...]

I'll think I will run with this solution. Using the hyperlink above, please tell me the reference
numbers of the bits actually required. The master socket is on a 70mm * 70mm pattress so that will
have to be replaced as well with a larger one. Many thanks. David Bradley

Old January 25th 05, 09:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

David Bradley wrote:

[...]

If you don't currently have a standard BT NTE5 master socket, things get a
bit more difficult - but not impossible. On the Clarity reference above
there is a link saying "If you don't have an NTE5, click here". You need to
read that. There is also another link at the top of the page to various
articles which you should read for general education on filtering etc. [I
can't currently get either of these links to work, but hopefully it's only a
temporary problem!]

--
Cheers,
Tim

Old February 2nd 05, 07:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Nigel M wrote:

In uk.telecom.broadband, Tiscali Tim wrote:

Buy a modified filtered faceplate from Clarity.
http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_bits.htm

Hardwire a digital extension into the back of the faceplate
- using Cat5 cable - and terminate it with an RJ45 or RJ11
socket where you want your router to plug in.

I know this was a while ago, but I've been thinking about it.

I don't have BB yet, but I believe that the standard socket is an RJ11
with 4 poles. If you use CAT5 cable, there will be some pairs left
over.

Does this matter? Which pins should be wired as pairs?

You only need one pair - and you connect the *middle* 2 pins in your RJ11.
It doesn't matter which pair you use in the cable, as long as it *is* a
pair. The pairs are colour coded - so you need 2 wires with the same
colours - e.g. green with white and white with green.

Leave the other wires/pins unconnected. There's only one pair of pins for a
digital connection in the back of the faceplate, anyway.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old February 2nd 05, 11:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

"Nigel M" wrote in message
news
In uk.telecom.broadband, Tiscali Tim wrote:

You only need one pair - and you connect the *middle* 2 pins in your RJ11.
It doesn't matter which pair you use in the cable

That's what I thought. So on a short run, is there any advantage in
using a twisted cable?

How long is short????

3mtrs no problem with a flat cable (RJ11 both ends) 10 mtrs plus I'd
recommend go with twisted pair (cat3 if you can get it, as it's easier to
get the RJ11 plugs on it than cat5)