Changing service provider.

Old January 24th 05, 04:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Reg Edwards

Default Changing service provider.

If I should change service provider, what would happen to my website and its
address?

Anything or just carry on as usual?

Old January 24th 05, 04:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Reg Edwards:
If I should change service provider, what would happen to my website
and its address?

Anything or just carry on as usual?

I take it you are talking about the free webspace provided by your ISP?

If so the depending on your provider it will disappear straight away, or some
months later.

This is why it is always wise to pay the couple of pound each year to have a
domain name, and point that to wherever you have ISP webspace, so when you
move, you just update the domain to point to the new address, as allows you to
keep email addresses.

--
Current Items For Sale: http://www.bextech.me.uk/forsale
Free Calendar: http://www.bextech.me.uk/calendar

Old January 24th 05, 05:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" wrote in message
Thus spaketh Reg Edwards:
If I should change service provider, what would happen to my website
and its address?

Anything or just carry on as usual?

I take it you are talking about the free webspace provided by your ISP?

If so the depending on your provider it will disappear straight away, or
some months later.

This is why it is always wise to pay the couple of pound each year to
have a domain name, and point that to wherever you have ISP webspace, so
when you move, you just update the domain to point to the new address,
as allows you to keep email addresses.

Or better still find a decent hosting company and make your website (and
your email address) completely ISP-independent.

I use www.lcn.biz who I have found excellent (no connection, just a
customer).

Ivor

Old January 24th 05, 10:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Ivor Jones:
"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" wrote in message
Thus spaketh Reg Edwards:
If I should change service provider, what would happen to my website
and its address?

Anything or just carry on as usual?

I take it you are talking about the free webspace provided by your
ISP? If so the depending on your provider it will disappear straight
away, or some months later.

This is why it is always wise to pay the couple of pound each year to
have a domain name, and point that to wherever you have ISP
webspace, so when you move, you just update the domain to point to
the new address, as allows you to keep email addresses.

Or better still find a decent hosting company and make your website
(and your email address) completely ISP-independent.

I use www.lcn.biz who I have found excellent (no connection, just a
customer).

Ivor

Yes, that is the best way, not always the cheapest, but is one which I have
done too, as well as a couple that just redirect..

Old January 26th 05, 05:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ronny

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
Thus spaketh Ivor Jones:
"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" wrote in message
Thus spaketh Reg Edwards:
[...]

You could always take out my lowest package, its 10 a year, less then a
pound a month and includes a .com or a .net address.

www.1337hosts.com