Boradband in rental housing.

Old January 25th 05, 12:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Quimbler

Default Boradband in rental housing.

I intend to rent a flat in London for six months and install broadband.
Hopefully, after six months I will be able to move somewhere nicer.

1) Are there any broadband providers that permit a six month contract?

2) If not, would there be any problem in "switching" the service to
another flat for the second six months?

Also, presumably since no modification to the electronics are done,
installing DSL would be OK in rented housing?

I am assuming a contract with the provider is unavoidable.

TIA.
Old January 25th 05, 02:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Quimbler wrote:

I intend to rent a flat in London for six months and install
broadband. Hopefully, after six months I will be able to move
somewhere nicer.

1) Are there any broadband providers that permit a six month contract?

2) If not, would there be any problem in "switching" the service to
another flat for the second six months?

Also, presumably since no modification to the electronics are done,
installing DSL would be OK in rented housing?

I am assuming a contract with the provider is unavoidable.

TIA.

Many ISPs do monthly contracts - so you don't have to commit yourself for a
long period.

However, with these, you either have to pay an up-front activation charge of
about 60 quid - or you have to pay the equivalent at the end if you cancel
in less than 12 months.

Some ISPs will allow you to switch the service to a different line when you
move - but there will be costs involved, because the ISP gets charged by BT.

As long as the flat has a BT phone line in your name, you should be able to
get ASDL on it. If it's in the landlord's name, but he passes on the charges
to you, it gets a bit more complicated!
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old January 25th 05, 02:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
a8359

www.metronet.co.uk or zen.co.uk month by month contracts. good service.
Old January 25th 05, 02:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Quimbler

Tiscali Tim wrote:
Quimbler wrote:

[...]

I was thinking about that. But if the phone line is with BT and the
ADSL is with a different company would they not bill you differently to
if it was BT who also own the phone line?

IOW, 2 bills not 1 (as with BT)?
Old January 25th 05, 03:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Quimbler wrote:

Tiscali Tim wrote:
Quimbler wrote:

As long as the flat has a BT phone line in your name, you should be
able to get ASDL on it. If it's in the landlord's name, but he
passes on the charges to you, it gets a bit more complicated!

I was thinking about that. But if the phone line is with BT and the
ADSL is with a different company would they not bill you differently
to if it was BT who also own the phone line?

IOW, 2 bills not 1 (as with BT)?

Yes, there'd be 2 bills - one from BT for the line and one from the ISP for
the ADSL service.

In order to implement the ADSL service, your chosen ISP has to get BT to
move the exchange end of the line to an ADSL rack, and enable ADSL on it via
that ISP. There could possibly be a problem if BT receive a request - via
the ISP - from someone who isn't *their* recorded customer for that line.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old January 25th 05, 03:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul King

Quimbler wrote:

But if the phone line is with BT and the
ADSL is with a different company would they not bill you differently
to if it was BT who also own the phone line?

IOW, 2 bills not 1 (as with BT)?

Not sure I'm with you on this With two suppliers (BT & ISP) you *will*
get two bills. I think that the situation would be the same even if BT was
your phone supplier *AND* your ISP, since its two different BT divisions -
ie. I don't think that the BT ISP charge will appear on yout BT phone bill -
but I could be wrong.

Most ISPs accept Direct Debit or Credit Card and charge monthly to that. I
have *NEVER* seen a bill from Pipex in the 2 years I've been with them. They
charge my CCard - and I pay it when the CCard bill arrives.

HTH

Old January 25th 05, 06:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Tiscali Tim" wrote in message

[snip]

In order to implement the ADSL service, your chosen ISP has to get BT to
move the exchange end of the line to an ADSL rack, and enable ADSL on it
via
that ISP. There could possibly be a problem if BT receive a request -
via
the ISP - from someone who isn't *their* recorded customer for that
line.

Shouldn't be a problem. I know someone who has ADSL in his own name on his
parents' line. 2 bills, the parents get the BT bill and the son gets his
ADSL bill. Totally separate.

Ivor

Old January 25th 05, 07:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Ivor Jones wrote:

"Tiscali Tim" wrote in message

[snip]

In order to implement the ADSL service, your chosen ISP has to get
BT to move the exchange end of the line to an ADSL rack, and enable
ADSL on it via
that ISP. There could possibly be a problem if BT receive a request -
via
the ISP - from someone who isn't *their* recorded customer for that
line.

Shouldn't be a problem. I know someone who has ADSL in his own name
on his parents' line. 2 bills, the parents get the BT bill and the
son gets his ADSL bill. Totally separate.

Ivor

It may not be a problem. But ISTR that somewhere in the sign-up procedure I
had to specify the BT account number covering the line. If someone did it on
his parents' line with their knowledge and approval that would not be a
problem. If you wanted to do it in a rented flat without involving the
landlord, it *may* still be a problem.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old January 25th 05, 07:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Tiscali Tim" wrote in message
Ivor Jones wrote:

[snip]

Shouldn't be a problem. I know someone who has ADSL in his own name
on his parents' line. 2 bills, the parents get the BT bill and the
son gets his ADSL bill. Totally separate.

Ivor

It may not be a problem. But ISTR that somewhere in the sign-up
procedure I
had to specify the BT account number covering the line. If someone did
it on
his parents' line with their knowledge and approval that would not be a
problem. If you wanted to do it in a rented flat without involving the
landlord, it *may* still be a problem.

Good point.

Ivor