sipgate.co.uk - voip service

Old January 25th 05, 07:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Woolley

Default sipgate.co.uk - voip service

anyone any comments on it please, good or bad

cheers

paul

Old January 25th 05, 07:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Paul Woolley" wrote in message
anyone any comments on it please, good or bad

Excellent, can't speak too highly of them. Quality is very good, tech
support excellent. Only two gripes, mainly about billing - it's billing by
the minute not the second when calling PSTN lines, but that's a minor
point with the charges being relatively cheap, also the charges to mobiles
are on the hefty side. But for calls within the system they're hard to
beat..!

Ivor

Old January 25th 05, 08:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Paul Woolley" wrote in message
what hardware do you use with it or do you use the softphone ?

I use the Grandstream ATA-486. It was a bit tricky to set up but I
eventually traced it to a problem with my router, with the help of several
very long phone calls from one of Sipgate's engineers, to whom I will be
forever grateful..! I won't cause his inbox to be deluged by naming him,
sorry ;-)

BTW could you post at the bottom please, it makes the thread easier to
follow, thanks :-)

Ivor

Old January 25th 05, 09:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

anyone any comments on it please, good or bad

See the other thread where it was mentioned - no non-geographical numbers
are supported, but more critically, no 999 availability.

Old January 25th 05, 09:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Gayler

"Paul Woolley" writed in news:PtxJd.6239
:

anyone any comments on it please, good or bad

cheers

paul

I use Sipgate with the ATA486, and it was very easy to set up, the ATA
comes configured from Sipgate.
The kit from Sipgate came with a French phone adaptor, rather than a UK
adaptor, which meant a trip to Maplins because I couldn't get a reply
from Sipgate tech support on the matter.
Call quality is fine, no discernable differents from POTS.
The on-line logging works well.
The only difficulty I have is that the ATA486 will occasionally 'go to
sleep' (flashing red light) and need to be powered off to reset it.
Mike - Leicester
Old January 25th 05, 10:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Gill

Mike Gayler wrote:

I use Sipgate with the ATA486, and it was very easy to set up, the ATA
comes configured from Sipgate.
The kit from Sipgate came with a French phone adaptor, rather than a UK
adaptor, which meant a trip to Maplins because I couldn't get a reply
from Sipgate tech support on the matter.

My ATA-486 came with a UK phone socket adapter with built-in ring
capacitor, so either you were unlucky or they've recently upgraded their
UK-spec.

The only difficulty I have is that the ATA486 will occasionally 'go to
sleep' (flashing red light) and need to be powered off to reset it.
Mike - Leicester

Not had that one - yet... ;-)

Old January 25th 05, 11:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
t...
anyone any comments on it please, good or bad

See the other thread where it was mentioned - no non-geographical
numbers
are supported, but more critically, no 999 availability.

Which IMHO is really less of a problem than most people think, since the
vast majority of VoIP users won't be using it as their only phone. Most
will have a standard landline (the one ADSL comes in on) and/or a mobile.

Sipgate do plan to introduce emergency access in the UK but it's not sure
when it will happen.

Ivor

Old January 25th 05, 11:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Dave Gill" wrote in message
Mike Gayler wrote:

I use Sipgate with the ATA486, and it was very easy to set up, the ATA
comes configured from Sipgate.
The kit from Sipgate came with a French phone adaptor, rather than a UK
adaptor, which meant a trip to Maplins because I couldn't get a reply
from Sipgate tech support on the matter.

My ATA-486 came with a UK phone socket adapter with built-in ring
capacitor, so either you were unlucky or they've recently upgraded their
UK-spec.

Mine didn't come with an adaptor at all..! Also I got a German plug-top
power supply, but that wasn't really a problem and I have a Maplin shop
locally..! I've ordered a second ATA-486 this week so I'll be interested
to see when it comes what PSU and adaptor (if any..!) I get ;-)

The only difficulty I have is that the ATA486 will occasionally 'go to
sleep' (flashing red light) and need to be powered off to reset it.
Mike - Leicester

Not had that one - yet... ;-)

You will..!

Ivor