ADSL ethernet modems

Old January 25th 05, 10:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default ADSL ethernet modems

Could anyone suggest a good ADSL ethernet modem on its own (no router
etc - to be connected into a router) ive seen the Dlink 300 one but has
many bad reviews

Old January 26th 05, 12:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Floyd

In message of Tue, 25 Jan 2005, Andy Burns writes
wrote:

Could anyone suggest a good ADSL ethernet modem on its own (no router
etc - to be connected into a router) ive seen the Dlink 300 one but has
many bad reviews

Not answering your question ... but why so certain you don't want
another router? only "cheap stuff" will tend to act as an ADSL modem as
opposed to a router, there's no harm in having one router talk to
another, the Internet's full of them ;-)

My guess is that more people will be wanting to know this because of the
use of ATA-486 with sipgate and wanting QoS at the same time. In that
case you need a separate modem and router and the ATA-486 sits between
them.

David
Old January 26th 05, 12:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

wrote:

Could anyone suggest a good ADSL ethernet modem on its own (no router
etc - to be connected into a router) ive seen the Dlink 300 one but
has
many bad reviews

Not answering your question ... but why so certain you don't want
another router? only "cheap stuff" will tend to act as an ADSL modem as
opposed to a router, there's no harm in having one router talk to
another, the Internet's full of them ;-)

My guess is that more people will be wanting to know this because of the
use of ATA-486 with sipgate and wanting QoS at the same time. In that
case you need a separate modem and router and the ATA-486 sits between
them.

I couldn't get the ATA-486 to work as a router at all for some reason. It
works fine though as a client plugged into my hub along with the PC's and
quality is fine as long as I'm not doing a heavy download during a call.

I have a second ATA-486 on order so it will be interesting to see how the
available bandwidth copes with both ;-)

Ivor

Old January 26th 05, 08:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

David Floyd wrote:

My guess is that more people will be wanting to know this because of the
use of ATA-486 with sipgate and wanting QoS at the same time. In that
case you need a separate modem and router and the ATA-486 sits between
them.

who says you need a separate modem? surely the ATA will plug into a
router on it's WAN side and then you plug your PC or hub/switch into
it's LAN side? You then have two routers but so what? the ATA is doing
QoS and there is nothing "uppstream" of it to interfere with that.
Somethings might get confused by double NAT if you can't turn it off on
the ADSL router I suppose ...
Old January 26th 05, 09:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Quinton

On 25 Jan 2005 14:01:54 -0800, "
wrote:

Could anyone suggest a good ADSL ethernet modem on its own (no router
etc - to be connected into a router) ive seen the Dlink 300 one but has
many bad reviews

I've got one of these:-
http://www.adslnation.co.uk/products/xmodem-ce.php

working with a Draytek 2220WPlus ISDN modem/ wireless router.

I never did manage to get it to work plugged in to the WAN port of the
Draytek, but it works fine just plugged in to one of the LAN ports.
--
January Sales 2005 - Offers & Coupons - http://www.ThisBritain.com/January-Sales-2005/
Locate your Mobile phone: http://www.bizorg.co.uk/news.html
Old January 26th 05, 02:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 07:04:43 -0000, "PJB" wrote:

so only needs a Ethernet ADSL
modem to change his connection ;-)

sadly ADSL in the UK doesn't generally use PPPoE so the idea falls
down a bit. The ADSLnation X-modem, some D-link products and a Westell
Proline 6000 all reviewed at http://www.adslguide.org.uk/reviews/ use
various kludges to get over this with various routers.

I would ensure the chosen device interworks fully with the existing
router before purchasing.

Phil

Old January 26th 05, 04:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Phil Thompson wrote:

sadly ADSL in the UK doesn't generally use PPPoE so the idea falls
down a bit. The ADSLnation X-modem, some D-link products and a Westell
Proline 6000

I do have the Westell Ultraline 7400 (Proline's big brother, though I
use it in router mode with 8 IP addresses (one NATed for separate
subnet) about to connect a Sipura SPA-3000 will let you know how it goes
.... or be crying for help if it doesn't go ...
Old January 26th 05, 05:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
evangelical_bob

I have a DSL-300T. The first one would not sync so was returned to
D-Link. They turned it around/supplied a new one by return post and it
has been fine since. On continuously for 2 months and doing exactly
what it states it should do.