BT Broadband and no smtp server problem

Old January 26th 05, 08:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ratty Burger

Default BT Broadband and no smtp server problem

Hi

A friend of mine has recently signed on to the basic BT Broadband
package, without asking me first (I would have recommended something
else for the same money). I went over to her place last night to check
things over, and when it comes to email, she can access her hotmail
account just fine. Given that she would like to receive some large
photos of new family members, which would break the limit of her hotmail
account, I suggested that she register for BT Yahoo Pay as You Go. This
gives her 250 Mbytes per account, and she can have a total of 5 accounts
going on her single registration, she just needs to login in every 90
days on her dial up to keep it going.

However, she would like to keep her emails offline locally on her hard
drive. Setting up the pop details to receive emails from her yahoo
account in Outlook 2003 was easy and seems to work quite well. Being
able to send emails from outlook is a different matter. I personally am
with Blue Yonder, so I set my SMTP details to point to the Blue Yonder
SMTP mail relay server, and authenticate with my Blue Yonder account
details. For other friends on Tiscali, I set their SMTP details to the
Tiscali SMTP server, but keep their POP details on BT Yahoo, giving them
the best of both worlds. However, BT Broadband say they do not provide
a SMTP mail relay server for free, and the Yahoo one at
mail.btinterent.com doesn't seem to work, or is not available on a non
BT Broadband ADSL link. BT Broadband do provide and upgrade to a paid
for service (£15 per year), but someone else must have found a way of
sending SMTP emails for free from BT Broadband. I have found some old
threads in this news group stating that they successfully used BT Yahoo,
but I believe both BT Broadband and BT Yahoo have made changes recently
that render most of these methods non functioning.

So has any one sorted this out recently, or can anyone check that their
existing method still works as of today, and tell me how to setup SMTP
on BT Broadband for free.

Many thanks
Old January 26th 05, 09:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Ratty Burger:
[...]

She could run her own SMTP server, which you can download for free from:
http://www.softstack.com/freesmtp.html

In outlook express change the out going server to localhost

--
Current Items For Sale: http://www.bextech.me.uk/forsale
Free Calendar: http://www.bextech.me.uk/calendar

Old January 26th 05, 09:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 26/01/2005 Ratty Burger wrote:

So has any one sorted this out recently, or can anyone check that
their existing method still works as of today, and tell me how to
setup SMTP on BT Broadband for free.

I don't think you can. I had BT Midband (ISDN) and had to pay an extra
£1.50 a month for mail. I moved to Demon when broadband arrived in the
village.

You could set up a Yahoo free account (I use one for newsgroup
postings), you can use that for sending.

Otherwise you could set up a mail account with somebody like Easily, I
pay £10 for two years, and you can send/receive (and probably get a
decent 'domain' name). No spam check though.

--
Jeff Gaines
Posted with XanaNews 1.17.1.2
Old January 26th 05, 12:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Parry

Ratty Burger fumbled, fiddled and fingered:

Hi

A friend of mine has recently signed on to the basic BT Broadband
package, without asking me first (I would have recommended something
else for the same money). I went over to her place last night to
check things over, and when it comes to email, she can access her
hotmail account just fine. Given that she would like to receive some
large photos of new family members, which would break the limit of
her hotmail account,

snip

For simplicity what about paying for the full hotmail service it's 15
quid a year and you can set up Outlook express to collect the mail from
the service as well as use the web browser if you want.

see:
http://tinyurl.com/54svc

"
MSN Hotmail Plus includes all the features of Hotmail and extra benefits
including:

Virtually unlimited storage space
with a 2GB inbox
Increase your capacity to store more
e-mails and files.
Larger file attachments, up to
20MB per e-mail
Easily share your photos, music and documents.
Freedom from the 30-day Hotmail account expiration policy
Your Hotmail account will never expire.*
E-mail without banner advertisements
Enjoy your e-mail free from graphical ads.
Access MSN Hotmail with Microsoft Office Outlook® or Outlook Express
Download and store MSN Hotmail messages on your PC. Read and compose
messages when you're not online.
MSN Messenger Integration
Use MSN Messenger right from within Hotmail. "

--
Steve Parry

http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

http://www.arrivedeprived.org.uk/

K100RS SE
F650
(not forgetting the SK90PY)

Old January 26th 05, 01:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Markus G. Klötzer

"Steve Parry" wrote:

For simplicity what about paying for the full hotmail service it's 15
quid a year and you can set up Outlook express to collect the mail from
the service as well as use the web browser if you want.

now there is a business idea ...

£15 a year and have your own domainname .... just for mail

I think I am going to stick that on my website

cu

mgk
--
Programmierer, der, -s, -: Gerät zur Umwandlung von Kaffee
in Programmcode.
Old January 26th 05, 01:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ratty Burger

"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" wrote in news:35p622F4nosn1U1
@individual.net:

http://www.softstack.com/freesmtp.html

I thought BT Broadband like a lot ISP stop you running your own smtp
server, especially on port 25, as it looks the same as a malware or trojan
that has it's own SMTP server. Has anyone had success with their own SMTP
server on BT Broadband, espcially recently has BT have made security
changes. In searching the net, people claim to use smtp.btbroadband.com,
using your usual adsl connection details to login. Anyone know if such a
solution works.
Old January 26th 05, 02:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Ratty Burger:
"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" wrote in news:35p622F4nosn1U1
@individual.net:

http://www.softstack.com/freesmtp.html

I thought BT Broadband like a lot ISP stop you running your own smtp
server, especially on port 25, as it looks the same as a malware or
trojan that has it's own SMTP server. Has anyone had success with
their own SMTP server on BT Broadband, espcially recently has BT have
made security changes. In searching the net, people claim to use
smtp.btbroadband.com, using your usual adsl connection details to
login. Anyone know if such a solution works.

You can change the port, if you need to.

Old January 26th 05, 02:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On 26 Jan 2005 08:50:12 GMT, Ratty Burger wrote:

However, BT Broadband say they do not provide
a SMTP mail relay server for free, and the Yahoo one at
mail.btinterent.com doesn't seem to work, or is not available on a non
BT Broadband ADSL link.

the latter would be likely true, assuming you also spelled it
correctly.

ww.clara.net/btbroadband

Phil

Old January 26th 05, 03:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

www.hotpop.com

--
Tony )
Old January 26th 05, 07:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spin Dryer

On 26 Jan 2005 08:50:12 GMT, [Ratty Burger] said :-

[...]

Tell your friend to set the smtp server to :-

mail.btinternet.com or smtp.btinternet.com

and see if that works. Make sure that smtp authentication is set.