Stoopid ADSL question ..

Old January 26th 05, 03:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
T i m

Default Stoopid ADSL question ..

Hi All,

Not knowing what goes on behind the socket ..

How, what, why, would you be able to get BT to hook you up for *an*
ADSL service (and I assume you will get whatever type of ADSL service
they give you for your area etc) but then what stops you using that
'path' for connecting to BT Broadband or Wannado or AOL or Demon etc
etc? I know you would have to have an 'account' for that ISP but what
(if anything) stops you connecting elsewhere please?

I said it was stoopid .. ;-(

All the best ..

T i m

Old January 26th 05, 07:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
T i m

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 15:11:44 +0000, alex wrote:

I know you would have to have an 'account' for that ISP but what
(if anything) stops you connecting elsewhere please?

BT use Service Selection Barring (SSB) to stop you connecting to other
ISPs on your ADSL line.

Ah, and does that include not allowing you to connect to any other
service .. like if you (say) sign up with AOL then want to connect to
Wanadoo? (sri, I didn't know if you were suggesting it just stopped
BTBB customers going elsewhere?).

All the best ..

T i m
Old January 26th 05, 08:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

T i m wrote in news:[email protected]
4ax.com:

Ah, and does that include not allowing you to connect to any other
service .. like if you (say) sign up with AOL then want to connect to
Wanadoo? (sri, I didn't know if you were suggesting it just stopped
BTBB customers going elsewhere?).

You can only have one service at any one time. You can however migrate
between services. With some ISPs, the line will be locked to a specific
account with them whilst others will allow any valid account to
authenticate on the line (Had this problem where a client had home and
business and the ISP [Rednet] gave them the same user/pass at both
locations)

--
Colin
Old January 27th 05, 10:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
T i m

On 26 Jan 2005 20:17:03 GMT, cw wrote:

T i m wrote in news:[email protected]
4ax.com:

Ah, and does that include not allowing you to connect to any other
service .. like if you (say) sign up with AOL then want to connect to
Wanadoo? (sri, I didn't know if you were suggesting it just stopped
BTBB customers going elsewhere?).

You can only have one service at any one time. You can however migrate
between services. With some ISPs, the line will be locked to a specific
account with them whilst others will allow any valid account to
authenticate on the line (Had this problem where a client had home and
business and the ISP [Rednet] gave them the same user/pass at both
locations)

Ok Colin, thanks for that.

So, BT have to be asked (instructed) to 'switch' you to whoever? Do
they get this instruction from us or the ISP? Database entry etc?

All the best ..

T i m

Old January 27th 05, 11:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 10:59:18 GMT, T i m wrote:

So, BT have to be asked (instructed) to 'switch' you to whoever? Do
they get this instruction from us or the ISP? Database entry etc?

you always ask ISPs about ADSL, where "ISP" includes BTBroadband and
BTYahoo. Ringing "BT" ie residential customers services is pointless.

If you want to change ISP talk to the new one about migrating in and
the old one about giving you a "MAC code" to facilitate the migration.

Phil