Metronet Threaten Capping....

Old January 26th 05, 05:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve K

Default Metronet Threaten Capping....

Anyone else who use Metronet got this?

I don't use their NNTP provision but obviously i do use their bandwidth.

"As you know around 3 months ago we changed our news (NNTP/Usenet)
provider to Supernews and in so doing we vastly improved the quality
of the Usenet service over what we had previously.

Unfortunately the drawback has been that some customers have taken
advantage of the improved service to such an extent that the service
is now being compromised by a few to the detriment of the majority.

As the news service is provided as a shared facility we would like to
ask that those few customers who are technically drawing most of the
Usenet resources apply some restraint and curtail their usage. As a
general guide we would ask that you limit Usenet usage to around 25GB
a month - which we believe to be both fair and viable considering most
larger providers have started to apply limits which are around a half
of this - and also limit the number of concurrent threads you use to 1
or 2 at the most.

We are hoping that allowing customers to exercise personal control
over Usenet will not require us to apply any formal change of usage
policy.

However if usage is not stemmed by those we believe are drawing the
majority of the resources within the next 7 days and there has been
little or no change we will of course make an announcement to formally
apply a usage policy on Usenet services.

For the vast majority of our customers the above will neither have any
bearing nor impact but it is important we make all customers aware of
it."

I think I did around 30 gb last month, but I'm in the first month of
broadband download frenzy, novelty worn off a bit and disk full!

So it's doesn't really bother me but it seems the capping trend will
continue...

Steve

--
Take out no before @ and spam after

Old January 26th 05, 05:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Hutchings

In article 2005012617164750073%[email protected],
Steve K wrote:

Unfortunately the drawback has been that some customers have taken
advantage of the improved service to such an extent that the service
is now being compromised by a few to the detriment of the majority.

I guess that's one of the downsides of not having an in-house server,
get a bunch of people constantly downloading from a Supernews across the
pond.

cheers,
Paul
--
paul at spamcop dot net
Old January 26th 05, 11:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pete devlin

In message 2005012617164750073%[email protected], Steve K
writes
Anyone else who use Metronet got this?

I don't use their NNTP provision but obviously i do use their
bandwidth.

[Snip]

funnily enough, this just in from Mildred:

In order for Nildram to provide a robust and reliable News service we
will be changing our News service from the 1st February 2005.

All customers will be allowed a maximum of two concurrent 256 kbits/sec
connections with a maximum download limit per month depending on the
product purchased:

DSL500, PAYGO500, B2GO500 - 10 Gigabytes per month
DSL1000, PAYGO1000, B2GO1000 - 15 Gigabytes per month
DSL2000, PAYGO2000, B2GO2000 - 20 Gigabytes per month
DSL PRO and SDSL - 25 Gigabytes per month
Dial customers - 10 Gigabytes per month
Leased line customers - 30 Gigabytes per month
--
Pete Devlin
"Mind the oranges Marlon!"
Old January 27th 05, 12:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

pete devlin wrote:
In message 2005012617164750073%[email protected], Steve K
writes
Anyone else who use Metronet got this?

I don't use their NNTP provision but obviously i do use their
bandwidth.

[Snip]

funnily enough, this just in from Mildred:

In order for Nildram to provide a robust and reliable News service we
will be changing our News service from the 1st February 2005.

All customers will be allowed a maximum of two concurrent 256 kbits/sec
connections with a maximum download limit per month depending on the
product purchased:

DSL500, PAYGO500, B2GO500 - 10 Gigabytes per month
DSL1000, PAYGO1000, B2GO1000 - 15 Gigabytes per month

Coincidence?
Conspiracy?
Cartel?

Old January 27th 05, 12:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pete devlin

In message , Ian
Stirling writes
Coincidence?
Conspiracy?
Cartel?

Collaboration.
Cheaper Connection Calls.
Time to Clear awf.
--
Pete Devlin
"Mind the oranges Marlon!"
Old February 3rd 05, 04:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

"Steve K" wrote in message
news:2005012617164750073%[email protected]
[...]

The cap is for usenet use. not normal web use. Now ask yourself this what
are people downloading that is more than 25G a month Hmmm Well I bet it isnt
mainstream news groups I feel it may be more of the .bin varity if you know
what I mean, And yes I did get the email and I am not worried at all,
Personally I have seen speeds slow a bit lately so maybe the downloaders who
left plusnet came over and now clogging up metronet, So hopefully they will
move on again soon.

Ian

Old February 3rd 05, 04:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy

I've just received the following:

Dear Sir/Madam

Further to our email of the 26th January 2004 we have been monitoring
Usenet usage over the past 7 days and unfortunately no change has
resulted in Usenet patterns by a small band of customers. We are
therefore outlining here the formal changes we will now be applying.

The changes announced here also reflect the individual emails we have
received and also the very in-depth discussion that has recently taken
place on Adslguide.org.uk.

Most customers are of the opinion that they would be happy for us to
remove Usenet access altogether, provide access to text only Usenet,
or make it an extra chargeable service and these are options we have
considered.

However we are equally aware that Usenet is a very useful tool and
therefore any such action would impact on customers who do not have
excessive usage and could be deemed unfair on the majority.

Therefore as a fairer course of action we have decided to simply
reduce the number of concurrent connections to 2 per IP and reduce the
speed of access to binaries to 128Kbps. These changes will take place
over the next 24hrs.

This does not prevent anyone from subscribing to a Usenet service
independently and these changes only apply to the service we provide
via Supernews - which we are providing as an added value service with
no subscription charge levied on customers for such access.

NB: These restrictions ONLY apply to the Usenet news service and NOT
to your ADSL or web access, email or other Internet applications you
may be using and if you are not currently accessing Usenet or have no
use for it then you are NOT affected.

However, in case you want to access Usenet news groups details can be
found he http://support.metronet.co.uk/techsumm.xhtml1

Thank you.

Regards

ADSL Services Team
MetroNet

--
This is an automatic signature of MesNews.
Site : http://www.mesnews.net

Old February 3rd 05, 05:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

"Andy" wrote in message
news:[email protected] chty.co.uk...
I've just received the following:

snip
Sounds fair enough to me.

Ian

Old February 3rd 05, 07:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wade

Ian" spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk wrote in message

"Andy" wrote in message
news:[email protected] chty.co.uk...
I've just received the following:

snip
Sounds fair enough to me.

Reducing the bandwidth to 128k sounds a bit tight. I oft download old radio
programs, which are out of copyright, and so lege, decent and honest....

Ian

Old February 4th 05, 02:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Blunt

"Andy" wrote in message
news:[email protected] chty.co.uk...
I've just received the following:

snip
Sounds fair enough to me.

Reducing the bandwidth to 128k sounds a bit tight. I oft download old radio
programs, which are out of copyright, and so lege, decent and honest....

Can I ask which newsgroup you download these from?

Chris