Stitched up by BT !!!

Old January 26th 05, 07:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
six-toes

Default Stitched up by BT !!!

BT customer signed up for five years - without his consent
By Tim Richardson
Published Wednesday 26th January 2005 15:36 GMT

BT has apologised to a small business punter after signing him up to a
five-year telecoms contract without his consent.

Scott Allison - the boss of Glasgow-based Freedom Mobiles Ltd - was
contacted by BT approved reseller Glasgow Telecom before Christmas.
Glasgow Telecom is one of BT's army of 82 BT Local Businesses across
the UK that earn commission flogging BT services.

Although Allison said he was happy with his current telecoms services
he discovered later that Glasgow Telecom had switched his one-year
ISDN2 contract to an extended deal that locked him in for five years.

"I might have expected some fly-by-night company to submit erroneous
orders...but I certainly would not expect a business which BT have
personally approved and permitted to trade as BT to submit orders for
long term line rental contracts without any instructions from the
customer," said Allison.

When he challenged the order, he was told his "daughter" had authorised
it - even though he has no children. In his pursuit for further
clarification he discovered that Glasgow Telecom had no record of who
actually confirmed the order.

Although BT insists this is an "isolated occurrence" the UK's dominant
fixed line telco has sought changes in the way its BT Local Business in
Glasgow handles the signing up of long term orders.

A spokesman said: "BT would like to apologise to Scott Allison for the
confusion regarding his contract with the BT Local Business in Glasgow.
An order was placed to switch his ISDN2 contract to a discounted
five-year contract, which Mr Allison did not want. BT has introduced a
new process for the Glasgow Local Business asking that all long term
contracts are accompanied by a signed order."

BT has since cancelled Allison's long term order and returned him to
his original contract.

Old January 27th 05, 07:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
J-A-K-E

"Stephen (Sausagefans.com)" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
Sounds like someone needs to get sued.

Move to America ... in the UK, an apology should be enough.

Yeah yeah, if the business has lost out than its right to sue.

If someone gets fat eating McDonald it should not be right to sue.
--
You may never want to leave
http://www.thisisdiss.com/

No-one has lost out, he was transferred to a cheaper Tariff (which locked
him in for 5 years) they have now reverted him back, so in theory he should
owe BT money.

Old January 27th 05, 09:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Sobey

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 22:36:03 -0000, Stephen (Sausagefans.com)
wrote:

In article ,
says...
Sounds like someone needs to get sued.

Move to America ... in the UK, an apology should be enough.

Yeah yeah, if the business has lost out than its right to sue.

If someone gets fat eating McDonald it should not be right to sue.

Or if they burn their skin spilling the drink marked "Contents are hot
- be careful" and not using common sense or due care.
Old January 27th 05, 12:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband

In article ,
Richard Sobey wrote:
Move to America ... in the UK, an apology should be enough.

Yeah yeah, if the business has lost out than its right to sue.

If someone gets fat eating McDonald it should not be right to sue.

Or if they burn their skin spilling the drink marked "Contents are hot
- be careful" and not using common sense or due care.

For details see he http://www.stellaawards.com/stella.html

Zane.
Old January 27th 05, 12:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Caley

In article , abuse (a) writes:

a For details see he http://www.stellaawards.com/stella.html

Basicly the case was of the form:

``They sold me a chainsaw which was sharper than most chainsaws,
so when I juggled it it cut my arm off rather than just maiming
it.''

Mind you, that is better than the cases where fat people sue fast food
places or ex-smokers sue tobacco companies for selling them what they
demanded.

To be fair, the main reason for these silly US cases is the need to
pay hospital bills when you do something stupid and damage
yourself. One way to get the money is to try and find someone to
blame, even if you have to stretch the concept of blame to ridiculous
lengths. Juries are often playing along with that game, thinking it's
better that McDonalds share holders unfairly lose some money than that
someone not get treated.

--
Mail me as _O_

Old January 27th 05, 11:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Caley

Default Stitched up by BT !!! OT

In article , usenet (u) writes:

u Isn't that a bit of a slippery one though? I rarely go in a MacDonalds
u but I understand they "super heat" their coffee so it may not cool down
u as you would expect?

Actually, it's more that most fast food places serve tepid coffee, and
McDonald's serves the coffee at a temperature you might expect if, for
example, you made it at home.

--
Mail me as _O_

Old January 27th 05, 11:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 18:11:37 -0000, Stephen (Sausagefans.com)
strung together this:

Isn't that a bit of a slippery one though? I rarely go in a MacDonalds
but I understand they "super heat" their coffee so it may not cool down
as you would expect?

Yes, I get coffee from Burger King and they heat their coffee in a
'standard' fashion.

Therefore, it cools down at a rate I am familiar with so can ascertain
what is the best time to accidentally spill it down myself without
getting burnt.

Unfortunately, not being used to the rate of temperature change in
'super heated' coffee I often accidentally spill McDonalds coffee
prematurely as I assume it's cool enough.

You didn't really think it through did you Stephen?
--

SJW