BT Business 500 change USB modem to Wireless ADSL Modem/Router

Old January 27th 05, 08:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trevor

Default BT Business 500 change USB modem to Wireless ADSL Modem/Router

Does anybody have experience of changing a USB modem to Wireless ADSL
Modem/Router

I am in the process of changing my setup in my office at work

I have removed the supplied USB Intel dsl modem, and installed a 3com
Wireless ADSL modem router. However I am unable to connect to the
internet.

I have made a new connection in my network places, but for some reason
when I go to log on, I get a message saying that the computer I am
trying to connect to has not answered.

Any suggestions?

Old January 27th 05, 11:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On 27 Jan 2005 00:30:16 -0800, "Trevor" wrote:

I have removed the supplied USB Intel dsl modem, and installed a 3com
Wireless ADSL modem router. However I am unable to connect to the
internet.

does the 3COM have an ADSL connection to the exchange - can you see
this via its web interface ? or via lights on the front ?

I have made a new connection in my network places,

? how is this lot connected together ? you generally connect to a
router with a wire or wireless NIC that already exists.

but for some reason
when I go to log on, I get a message saying that the computer I am
trying to connect to has not answered.

you should set your connection to "connect using a LAN"

Phil

Old January 27th 05, 05:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Phil Thompson wrote:
On 27 Jan 2005 00:30:16 -0800, "Trevor" wrote:

I have removed the supplied USB Intel dsl modem, and installed a 3com
Wireless ADSL modem router. However I am unable to connect to the
internet.

does the 3COM have an ADSL connection to the exchange - can you see
this via its web interface ? or via lights on the front ?

I have made a new connection in my network places,

? how is this lot connected together ? you generally connect to a
router with a wire or wireless NIC that already exists.

but for some reason
when I go to log on, I get a message saying that the computer I am
trying to connect to has not answered.

you should set your connection to "connect using a LAN"

Don't forget you have to put your network login details & various other
settings into the router before you can connect with it....

Old January 27th 05, 07:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
T A R

Hi Phil,

1, The 3com has a set of lights on the front, and yes it does have the
adsl connection on the back, this I have connected to the
filter/splitter originally supplied, by BT, in their Business 500 pack.

2, pc via ethernet to modem / router, and modem / router as in 1 above.

3, I think perhaps " connect using a lan" is where I might be going
wrong.

4, However will I still need to log on as with the old Intel USB ADSL
modem

Many Thanks for any help you can give and in the mean time I will check
as above tomorrow when I get back to the office

Trevor Rowe

Old January 27th 05, 07:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

T A R wrote:
Hi Phil,

1, The 3com has a set of lights on the front, and yes it does have the
adsl connection on the back, this I have connected to the
filter/splitter originally supplied, by BT, in their Business 500
pack.

2, pc via ethernet to modem / router, and modem / router as in 1
above.

3, I think perhaps " connect using a lan" is where I might be going
wrong.

4, However will I still need to log on as with the old Intel USB ADSL
modem

Many Thanks for any help you can give and in the mean time I will
check as above tomorrow when I get back to the office

Nope, if you've set your router up correctly it will be permanently
connected, so as soon as your PC is on you are connected, no DUN to deal
with at all