When to buy kit......

Old January 27th 05, 09:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave P

Default When to buy kit......

My exchange is being enabled in a week. No ISP apart from BT will take an
order on the exchange yet. When following the BT order process it states my
line will be fine with 512k (which I want) but may need an engineer to get
1mbs.

Should I be confident enough on that basis to order the wireless kit I want
or would I be better to hang back in case it wont work? I want to avoid any
delays but don't want to be stuck with kit!

Dave

Old January 27th 05, 11:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mikee

Dave P wrote:
My exchange is being enabled in a week. No ISP apart from BT will take an
order on the exchange yet. When following the BT order process it states my
line will be fine with 512k (which I want) but may need an engineer to get
1mbs.

Should I be confident enough on that basis to order the wireless kit I want
or would I be better to hang back in case it wont work? I want to avoid any
delays but don't want to be stuck with kit!

Dave

Order the kit you want.
You only want 512.. and they can give you that so you will get your
adsl. So get kitted up ready to go.
Old January 27th 05, 11:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul King

Dave P wrote:
My exchange is being enabled in a week. No ISP apart from BT will
take an order on the exchange yet. When following the BT order
process it states my line will be fine with 512k (which I want) but
may need an engineer to get 1mbs.

Should I be confident enough on that basis to order the wireless kit
I want or would I be better to hang back in case it wont work? I want
to avoid any delays but don't want to be stuck with kit!

Dave

Why not order the whole damn lot through BT? (yeah - I know its not the
cheapest route). That way, if they fail to provide, they'll take their kit
back

Old January 27th 05, 05:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Mikee wrote:
Dave P wrote:
My exchange is being enabled in a week. No ISP apart from BT will
take an order on the exchange yet. When following the BT order
process it states my line will be fine with 512k (which I want) but
may need an engineer to get 1mbs.

Should I be confident enough on that basis to order the wireless kit
I want or would I be better to hang back in case it wont work? I
want to avoid any delays but don't want to be stuck with kit!

Dave

Order the kit you want.
You only want 512.. and they can give you that so you will get your
adsl. So get kitted up ready to go.

Sorry but I have to disagree with you as the 1meg line limitations are the
old 512k ones, there are no stipulated limitations for 512k, it's a suck it
& see if it works situation.

Whatever the OP does he will not be able to check to see if his line can
carry a DSL service without some type of DSL kit to check with, but it may
be better to beg/borrow a friends just to see if it will work before going
out & buying anything, or signing up with an ISP who provide a cheap USB
modem 'free'. You don't have to use it after you've confirmed it works &
you won't be stuck with anything if it doesn't...

Old January 27th 05, 07:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

"Dave P" wrote in message
My exchange is being enabled in a week. No ISP apart from BT will take an
order on the exchange yet. When following the BT order process it states my
line will be fine with 512k (which I want) but may need an engineer to get
1mbs.

Should I be confident enough on that basis to order the wireless kit I want
or would I be better to hang back in case it wont work? I want to avoid any
delays but don't want to be stuck with kit!

Pipex supplied my equipment FOC. When I was sure that my line was OK I bought a
router and keep the USB modem as a spare, so that if I ever get problems I can
be fairly certain whether the problem lies with my ADSL modem or the BT service.

--

Michael Chare

Old January 27th 05, 09:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 11:34:20 -0000, "Paul King"
strung together this:

Why not order the whole damn lot through BT? (yeah - I know its not the
cheapest route). That way, if they fail to provide, they'll take their kit
back

I thought that only applied to new lines. Or is this a 'BT the ISP
thing'?
--

SJW