Broadband recommendations please

Old January 27th 05, 09:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
newman

Default Broadband recommendations please

I am looking for an ISP with most or all of these features-

1 Under £20/month
2 Free activation and modem
3 0800 or 0845 helpline
4 email addresses
5 512k or above
6 Reasonable download limits
7 Good reputation for service
8 Can be installed on a Win98 PC

If this is too demanding a list, I am open to other suggestions.

Regards
Old January 27th 05, 11:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mikee

newman wrote:
I am looking for an ISP with most or all of these features-

1 Under £20/month
2 Free activation and modem
3 0800 or 0845 helpline
4 email addresses
5 512k or above
6 Reasonable download limits
7 Good reputation for service
8 Can be installed on a Win98 PC

If this is too demanding a list, I am open to other suggestions.

Regards

Demon Home500 GBP19.99
Old January 27th 05, 11:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 09:30:30 GMT, newman wrote:

If this is too demanding a list, I am open to other suggestions.

Demon Home500 if you ignore the 0800/0845 helpline. They have online
textchat for free (assuming you have some connection method eg dialup)

www.demon.net/realbroadband

Phil

Old January 28th 05, 01:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

No such think as FREE activation - the £50+VAT goes to BT and you either pay
it up front,
or you pay for it by higher monthly fee, for as long as it takes for you to
realise you paying too much...

You should consider PlusNet:
1Mb/s for £14.99, with 1Gb/m included, enough for most users,
£2 extra per Gb (or little less if pre - paid).
PlusNet has won the best consumer ISP and best consumer service awards just
recently.
Yes, they had a 3 day email outage, but other than my service over 20
months was faultless.
If you decide to go with PlusNet please use 'jerryw' as a referrer and save
me 25p, thanks,
regards,
Martin

Old January 28th 05, 10:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
§meagol

"newman" wrote in message
I am looking for an ISP with most or all of these features-

1 Under £20/month
2 Free activation and modem
3 0800 or 0845 helpline
4 email addresses
5 512k or above
6 Reasonable download limits
7 Good reputation for service
8 Can be installed on a Win98 PC

If this is too demanding a list, I am open to other suggestions.

Regards

I see from another recent posting on here that Plusnet have now introduced a
"fair usage" policy - just another form of capping I imagine. All of your
points can be satisfied by www.demon.net with the exception of no.3 where
they use a national rate number (0870) but much better than premium rate .
Overall they might be the best option for you with their home500 option
@£19.99. I have been with them since shortly after this option was on
offer. Speedy set up, the free usb modem works OK for me, prompt telephone
answering on the helpline, as many email addys as you want, no limit to
usage. I felt they had a good reputation for service but you will always
find the odd few that have had a bad experience and will say so but then
that applies to any service provider. Never had a moments problem with the
service so far. There are others for quite a few pounds under £20 but most
have a capped limit and buying extra capacity can bring you up to a similar
level - or more!

Hope that helps.

--
§meagol

Old January 28th 05, 10:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R Morris

Martin" wrote:

No such think as FREE activation - the £50+VAT goes to BT and you either pay
it up front,
or you pay for it by higher monthly fee, for as long as it takes for you to
realise you paying too much...

You should consider PlusNet:
1Mb/s for £14.99, with 1Gb/m included, enough for most users,
£2 extra per Gb (or little less if pre - paid).
PlusNet has won the best consumer ISP and best consumer service awards just
recently.
Yes, they had a 3 day email outage, but other than my service over 20
months was faultless.
If you decide to go with PlusNet please use 'jerryw' as a referrer and save
me 25p, thanks,
regards,
Martin

Martin, if two people use 'jerryw' as referrer do you save 50p?
--
Roger
Old January 28th 05, 03:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
newman

"§meagol" wrote:

"newman" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks

I have checked out the Demon website and it looks as if they will be my
NO 1 choice.

Regards
Old January 29th 05, 01:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill

newman wrote:

I am looking for an ISP with most or all of these features-

1 Under £20/month
2 Free activation and modem
3 0800 or 0845 helpline
4 email addresses
5 512k or above
6 Reasonable download limits
7 Good reputation for service
8 Can be installed on a Win98 PC

If this is too demanding a list, I am open to other suggestions.

Regards

Any 'free' [1] modem is likely to be a cheap USB one, not the best with
W98. They can also embarras the USB ports with high current loading.
Far safer to go for a modem-router but that will either limit your
choice of ISP or mean some 'up front' cash, a network card is about £5
and a wired router in the £20 - £80 range.

[1] free: adj.
7 a (OED definition) available without charge; costing nothing.
7 b (when used in relation to an ADSL package) costing as much over a
year as paying it up front and continuing to be charged thereafter for
ever.

Bill

Old January 29th 05, 01:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Roger:
Martin, if two people use 'jerryw' as referrer do you save 50p?

Yes. If someone signs on the premium service it will save me 50p.
Business deals £1.
And PlusNet will even pay you if your referrals exceed your rental,
can't see that happening, but I live in hope...
Regards,
Martin