Wireless Internet speed using Plusnet

Old January 27th 05, 11:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stone Free

Default Wireless Internet speed using Plusnet

I have been having trouble getting a decent Internet speed when being
connected to the router/ap via a wireless connection. Its been feeling
very much like dialup.

I wondered about the speed about a month ago, so I visited the plusnet
speed tester and got a speed of 327.1 over wireless, at this time the
router was plugged into in my living room on a little table under an
alcove behind the living room door.

Two weeks ago I was trying to download the latest UDP driver set for my
nVidia nForce based motherboard and I was getting ridiculously low
download speeds, so I moved the router/ap from its place on the little
table so that it was sitting in the doorway instead. I didn't remember
to try the bandwidth test again.

Last week I tried streaming radio from last.fm, but it was not very
successful and kept cutting out. The router and the PC had been on for
quite a while so I unplugged the router and reset the PC and re-plugged
in the router. I was then able to stream the audio without any
dropouts.

____
{ AP }
{____}

D |
O |
O | PC
R |

This Sunday I again tried to stream from last.fm and again it started
cutting out. I tried the same process as last time but it did not work
this time.

So I then connected the router directly via the switch to my PC and
tried the streaming again and it was successful.

I had not yet upgraded the router as netgear suggested that until the
latest firmware was loaded that it was not possible to upgrade the
router wirelessly.

As it was now connected directly I upgraded the firmware of the router
(Netgear DG834G) hoping that this would improve the wireless
performance. I upgraded the firmware from version 1.03 to version 1.05
and then ran the plusnet bandwidth test and got 462.7 kbps (still
directly connected).

Then tonight I set the router and PC back to using the wireless
connection and then tried the plusnet bandwidth test and got values
between 43.1 and 80kbps.

I know I should have done this step by step testing the bandwidth
between each stage so that I would have a clearer knowledge of how any
changes affect download speed but I didn't think of it at the time.

The connection speed indicated when hovering over the wireless icon in
the status bar varies from 36Mbps to 54Mbps and Signal strength of
between Good and Excellent depending on how the router is feeling
despite no change in the routers position. Even when it is showing a
54Mbps connection the speed is still terrible.

My Internet connection is only 0.5Mbps so it seems strange that it can't
cope.

Here are the statistics that the upgraded firmware now supplies

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 7992 11160 0 51 819 03:29:09
LAN 100M/Full 6517 0 0 36 0 03:29:23
WLAN 54M 16157 8352 0 824 64 03:29:15

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 576 kbps 288 kbps
Line Attenuation 49 db 27.5 db
Noise Margin 25 db 28 db

The channel is currently set to 11 with broadcast name set to disabled,
mode is set to "g only" and I am using WEP authentication and the
wireless card is a LinkSys WMP54G

Any Ideas?
Old January 27th 05, 11:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 11:03:59 -0000, Stone Free
spam_KillKillKillstone_freeNoSpamPleaseWereBritis
wrote:

Any Ideas?

the aDSL line sounds fine from the stats and the wired results.

Try channel 1 on the wireless for less interference perhaps ?

run pingplotter or the like to see where in the chain it goes wrong.
www.pingplotter.com

Phil

Old January 27th 05, 11:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stone Free

Phil Thompson wrote in
:

wrote:

Any Ideas?

the aDSL line sounds fine from the stats and the wired results.

Try channel 1 on the wireless for less interference perhaps ?

I had assumed that if there was interference that I would get Collisions,
or is that only when the source of the radio interference is from another
wireless network?

run pingplotter or the like to see where in the chain it goes wrong.
www.pingplotter.com

How does that work? Would the freeware version be enough?
Old January 27th 05, 12:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 11:56:58 -0000, Stone Free
wrote:

I had assumed that if there was interference that I would get Collisions,
or is that only when the source of the radio interference is from another
wireless network?

802.11b/g wireless links will operate at reduced speed if another
device on the same frequency is bothering them. I don't know if it
shoes up as collisions or if that is restricted to its own WLAN
connections.

run pingplotter or the like to see where in the chain it goes wrong.
www.pingplotter.com

How does that work? Would the freeware version be enough?

it does a traceroute then plots ping responses, yes the free trial
will do it. It should show if you get long ping times to the router
(suggesting its a wireless issue) or to beyond. Also shows lost
packets.

Phil

Old January 27th 05, 02:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

wrote:

The channel is currently set to 11 with broadcast name set to
disabled, mode is set to "g only" and I am using WEP authentication
and the wireless card is a LinkSys WMP54G

"g-only" could be your problem. If the wireless signal is in any way
marginal, this could keep losing the connection and having to re-establish
it.

Do you have a mixed 11b+11g option? If so, try that. You could even try
11b-only. Sometimes a reliable 11b connection works better than an
unreliable 11g connection.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old January 27th 05, 09:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

First thing you need to do is test if it is a problem with distance or
anything like that. Put the router and the pc right next to each other and
see if it gets any better (laptops help here, if you don't have one, maybe
borrow one).

If you're still getting ****ty speeds with the devices adjacent to each
other then check for interference as other people have suggested. Switch
off any cordless phones, or any other cordless device you have. Try using
netstumbler(.com) to see if there are any other APs running so you can make
sure you use a different channel.

We have a wireless router and it works fine for general browsing of the net
but I have wired myself in because the lag and slowdown was just plain
annoying.

--
Colin