MAC and Pipex

Old January 27th 05, 12:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
in2minds

Default MAC and Pipex

how long should I expect to wait for my MAC number from Pipex ?

thanks
LJ

Old January 27th 05, 01:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Warby

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 13:17:46 +0000, me wrote:

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 12:06:49 -0000, "in2minds"
wrote:

how long should I expect to wait for my MAC number from Pipex ?

thanks
LJ

I also would like to know, what can be done if you are not provided
with your MAC code?
I have requested my MAC code from my ISP and it's been over 7 days
with no reply. BT say it's not their problem it's between you and your
ISP. The Police say it's not a criminal offence but a civil matter.
I know from reading posts here that most people seem to get MAC codes
either straight away or within 24 hours. If however you don't how long
can your ISP hold you to ransom for? It's something I'd not considered
when signing up for ADSL broadband, I may even go back to dial up, at
least that way I'm free to move around ISPs without hassle.

As far as I know ISPs aren't obliged to support migration(ie offer MAC
codes) at all.

There are some exceptions some ISPs have signed up to a code of practice
(see http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consumer_guides/bbm_cop/) which requires them
to give out migration codes - see website for more info on this

Martin

Old January 27th 05, 03:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
in2minds

If you asked for it by email - along time.
I think that they will only provide MAC codes if you phone customer
services.

I did phone, gave them my username and address and was told "it will be
sent to you by email"

LJ

Old January 27th 05, 03:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
in2minds

"in2minds" wrote in message
If you asked for it by email - along time.
I think that they will only provide MAC codes if you phone customer
services.

I did phone, gave them my username and address and was told "it will
be sent to you by email"

no sooner had I typed this and the email arrived (c;

LJ

Old January 27th 05, 05:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Warby

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 16:17:43 +0000, me wrote:

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 13:57:22 +0000, Martin Warby
wrote:

I also would like to know, what can be done if you are not provided
with your MAC code?
I have requested my MAC code from my ISP and it's been over 7 days
with no reply. BT say it's not their problem it's between you and your
ISP. The Police say it's not a criminal offence but a civil matter.
I know from reading posts here that most people seem to get MAC codes
either straight away or within 24 hours. If however you don't how long
can your ISP hold you to ransom for? It's something I'd not considered
when signing up for ADSL broadband, I may even go back to dial up, at
least that way I'm free to move around ISPs without hassle.

As far as I know ISPs aren't obliged to support migration(ie offer MAC
codes) at all.

So for those ISPs that don't support MAC codes, what is the process
for changing ISPs given your ADSL line has to be freed up?

There are some exceptions some ISPs have signed up to a code of practice
(see http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consumer_guides/bbm_cop/) which requires them
to give out migration codes - see website for more info on this

Thanks for this link Martin, it will be useful. I have however got
communication again:

"Sorry for the delay in getting this to you but BT are taking their
sweet time about it. I have chased them and they assure me we will get
it today." (27 January 2005)

Which is a start, BT say "nothing to do with us all to do with your
isp" and then you get such a reply from your ISP.

Who do you believe when you want to leave?

well the ADSL product is purchased by you from your ISP,the ISP then buys
the ADSL off BT wholesale.

The ADSL contact is between BT wholesale and your ISP .BT retail have
nothing to do with it.

The only option other than migration is cease and reprovide,this is were
you cancel your ADSL,wait for BT to disconnect you and then arrange for
ADSl to be installed by your new ISP.

also have a look at www.adslguide.org.uk

Martin
Old January 28th 05, 12:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
johnydeath

wrote:

I also would like to know, what can be done if you are not provided
with your MAC code?
I have requested my MAC code from my ISP and it's been over 7 days
with no reply.

I phoned Pipex this morning - they said if I wanted to migrate then I
should phone the day before my next month's rental was due to make the
most of the 30 days notice, but the MAC would be given within 72hrs.

I told them I did not want to leave but could save 100 a year by
migrating. I was told that all he could tell me was that Pipex are
reviewing their prices and to keep an eye on the website over the next 2
months or so.