Will a Linksys WAG54G work with Wanadoo broadband?

Old January 27th 05, 06:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
xyzzy

Default Will a Linksys WAG54G work with Wanadoo broadband?

Hi,

Bit of a broadband/network newbie, so please be patient.

I've recently upgraded to Wanadoo 1MB boradband, and (under the advice
of a so called expert) have purchased a Linksys WAG54G wireless-G ADSL
gateway.

Anyway, the so called expert is no longer on the scene (don't ask
sigh), and I'm note sure how to get this working with Wanadoo
broadband, let alone if it will work with Wanadoo broadband.

So, can some kind soul please confirm that it will work, and possibly
offer some advice on how to set it up (so that my PC - initially
connected to one of the lan ports - can see the internet)?

Many thanks in advance,
Steven
Old January 27th 05, 06:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NewsGroupQuestion

"xyzzy" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

Bit of a broadband/network newbie, so please be patient.

I've recently upgraded to Wanadoo 1MB boradband, and (under the advice
of a so called expert) have purchased a Linksys WAG54G wireless-G ADSL
gateway.

Anyway, the so called expert is no longer on the scene (don't ask
sigh), and I'm note sure how to get this working with Wanadoo
broadband, let alone if it will work with Wanadoo broadband.

So, can some kind soul please confirm that it will work, and possibly
offer some advice on how to set it up (so that my PC - initially
connected to one of the lan ports - can see the internet)?

Many thanks in advance,
Steven

Yes, I am using the WAG54G Gateway / WUSB54G adapter with Wanadoo. Easy to
set up and no problems with Wanadoo connection. I just use the basic
functions and have had niggles with the WAG54G but the basic functionality
does the job.

I have my gateway plugged into the master phone socket (with filtered face
plate). I set up the Gateway by connecting a cat 5 cable from computer to
ethernet port.

Input [email protected] and password; encapsulation - RFC2364 PPPoA, VPI = 0, VCI
= 38, check keep alive and your connected - simple as that.

Then make sure you disable SSID, set security (I use WPA TKIP), change the
SSID, set the Administration password and you're up and running. After
that, it's a few tweaks.
I should mention, when you take away the cable you should have set the
adpater side up already. Look for the SSID on the wireless network list,
configure the security settings and you should be able to connect.

Any specific questions - post to this group.

Old January 28th 05, 10:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Doherty

"NewsGroupQuestion" wrote in
message ...
"xyzzy" wrote in message
[...]

I'm on Wanadoo as well with a WAG54G and have no problems with the ADSL
connection. I have the odd lock-up of the wireless connection and have to
re-boot, but, from reading this newsgroup, think that all domestic routers
in this range (i.e. sub 100) have the potential to give occasional
problems.

The quick set up guide supplied with the router got me going in minutes.

As mentioned before, spend a bit of time configuring the security settings
for peace of mind.

Old February 5th 05, 02:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
xyzzy

[...]

Well It was easy to setup after all - took about 15 mins to have it
configured and connected to the internet.

I'm still in the process of 'playing' with the many options and
settings this thing has to offer.

There are some things I haven't found out how to setup yet. One being
the current time. It just shows Not Available on the Status tab.
Which in turn gives silly date/times in the firewall logs. for
example:
P1970-01-01T03:10:19 TCP: From: 192.168.1.64:1118 To:
66.102.9.104:80

The lack of date/time also renders the access restrictions by day and
time useless.

Anyway, so far, no problems at all (although I have found a lot of
negative reviews about this device on the web).

Cheers,
Steven
Old February 5th 05, 03:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 05/02/2005 xyzzy wrote:

There are some things I haven't found out how to setup yet. One being
the current time. It just shows Not Available on the Status tab.
Which in turn gives silly date/times in the firewall logs. for
example:
P1970-01-01T03:10:19 TCP: From: 192.168.1.64:1118 To:
66.102.9.104:80

The lack of date/time also renders the access restrictions by day and
time useless.

If you do solve the time problem will you post back please?

I am pleased with my WAG54G but it has the same issue.

--
Jeff Gaines
Posted with XanaNews 1.17.2.2
Old February 5th 05, 11:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Doherty

"Jeff Gaines" wrote in message
On 05/02/2005 xyzzy wrote:

There are some things I haven't found out how to setup yet. One being
the current time. It just shows Not Available on the Status tab.
Which in turn gives silly date/times in the firewall logs. for
example:
P1970-01-01T03:10:19 TCP: From: 192.168.1.64:1118 To:
66.102.9.104:80

The lack of date/time also renders the access restrictions by day and
time useless.

If you do solve the time problem will you post back please?

I am pleased with my WAG54G but it has the same issue.

--
Jeff Gaines
Posted with XanaNews 1.17.2.2

My WAG gets it's time update upon connecting to Wanadoo and updates 30secs
or so after connecting. In between connections the clock "free-runs".

It is possible that your problems might be something to do with problems at
the ISPs end. I will experiment and report back as I am currently connected
wirelessly and have switched off my router access via wireless (firmware
V1.02.7)

It might be worth performing a factory reset of the WAG. Unfortunately this
will erase your settings and you will have to re-enter them unless you have
the back-up and restore settings facility which is available from firmware
V1.02.5.

Old February 6th 05, 09:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 05/02/2005 Tony Doherty wrote:

My WAG gets it's time update upon connecting to Wanadoo and updates
30secs or so after connecting. In between connections the clock
"free-runs".

It is possible that your problems might be something to do with
problems at the ISPs end. I will experiment and report back as I am
currently connected wirelessly and have switched off my router access
via wireless (firmware V1.02.7)

It might be worth performing a factory reset of the WAG.
Unfortunately this will erase your settings and you will have to
re-enter them unless you have the back-up and restore settings
facility which is available from firmware V1.02.5.

I re-checked following your post and the time is now set, how did you
do that :-)

It's the first time I have seen the actual time, it used to say
something like 'unable to get time', I will keep an eye on it. It's
connected all the time, perhaps Demon have updated something at their
end?

My firmware is 1.01.6, looks like I should search for an update.

--
Jeff Gaines
Posted with XanaNews 1.17.2.3
Old February 6th 05, 05:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Doherty

[...]

Checked my WAG clock today and, yes, it is synchronised with the Wanadoo
server which is spot on when compared to the Rugby Radio MSF time reference.

Regarding firmware updates, check out
ftp://ftp.linksys.com/international/firmware/ where
ftp://ftp.linksys.com/international/...I_v1.02.7_03_c
ode.bin

is the latest beta version though this was withdrawn from the Linksys UK
website for some reason.

Old February 6th 05, 06:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 06/02/2005 Tony Doherty wrote:

Checked my WAG clock today and, yes, it is synchronised with the
Wanadoo server which is spot on when compared to the Rugby Radio MSF
time reference.

Regarding firmware updates, check out
ftp://ftp.linksys.com/international/firmware/ where
ftp://ftp.linksys.com/international/...exA_ETSI_v1.02.
7_03_c ode.bin

is the latest beta version though this was withdrawn from the Linksys
UK website for some reason.

The Linksys site at:
http://www.linksys.com/international...fwid=32&coid=6

is offering 1.02.1 only. Mind you it's a very confusing site.

Are you using 1.02.7 with no problems? My WAG54G works at the moment
and I'd like to keep it that way :-)

--
Jeff Gaines
Posted with XanaNews 1.17.2.3
Old February 6th 05, 09:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Doherty

The Linksys site at:
http://www.linksys.com/international...fwid=32&coid=6

is offering 1.02.1 only. Mind you it's a very confusing site.

Are you using 1.02.7 with no problems? My WAG54G works at the moment
and I'd like to keep it that way :-)

--
Jeff Gaines
Posted with XanaNews 1.17.2.3

I have used 1.02.1, 1.02.5 and now 1.02.7 versions of firmware.

All 3 have given me infrequent instances of disconnection of wireless during
long sessions of wireless connectivity.

I have researched many newsgroups and forums in order to try and pin down
the problem. Some suggest overheating, others suggest a lock-up of the
router where re-cycling is required. However, I noted that by logging into
the routers management pages, and reselecting "save" restores wireless
operation. My money is on the encryption losing sync as I have had fewer
incidences of wireless disconnection when using WPA-PSK that I had
previously using WEP.

Given that my infrequent problem appears to be unrelated to the firmware
version used, my preference is for the beta V1.02.7 which includes:-

the facility to back-up and restore router settings (this feature was
introduced in V1.02.5 and is very handy as one is recommended to perform a
factory reset after upgrading firmware).
the facility to switch off management of the router via wireless which I
consider to be another useful block to anyone sniffing on the outside world.

However, I currently do not make use of advanced features such as VPN or
port-forwarding and cannot comment on whether V1.02.5 or V1.02.7 are more
unreliable in this area