Dumping PlusNet - any suggestions?

Old January 27th 05, 07:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trent SC

Default Dumping PlusNet - any suggestions?

Time to look for a new ISP now that PlusNet has introduced a cap on their
ADSL services. Sorry, it's not a cap, rather "fair usage".

Right, this is what I'm looking for;
- 512Kb to 1Mb service, unmetered!
- Text newsgroups
- Email
- Large amount of webspace (including cgi and php)
- No disabling of P2P ports

I've seen Eclipse, Nildram, NDO and Zen with very good ratings on adslguide,
and while UK Online's 8Mb service looks great, I'm presuming its delivery is
as a subset of EasyNet so its rating can be drawn from them.

What's the general view of these providers?

Old January 27th 05, 08:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 27-Jan-2005, "Trent SC" wrote:

Time to look for a new ISP now that PlusNet has introduced a cap on their
ADSL services. Sorry, it's not a cap, rather "fair usage".

Right, this is what I'm looking for;
- 512Kb to 1Mb service, unmetered!
- Text newsgroups
- Email
- Large amount of webspace (including cgi and php)
- No disabling of P2P ports

I've seen Eclipse, Nildram, NDO and Zen with very good ratings on
adslguide,
and while UK Online's 8Mb service looks great, I'm presuming its delivery
is
as a subset of EasyNet so its rating can be drawn from them.

What's the general view of these providers?

I'm in exactly the same boat. Personally I have looked at Zen as that seems
to have massive webspace but the emails seem less that plusnet and I think
domain hosting costs?. But Eclipse looks interesting due to their flexing.
However I don't know what Eclipse's binary newsgroup access is like. Which,
I know is a different thing to what you are looking for but I would be
interested if anyone knows?

I don't want (and probabaly can't) go for LLU so UKOnline is out
Old January 27th 05, 08:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Trent SC wrote:
Time to look for a new ISP now that PlusNet has introduced a cap on their
ADSL services. Sorry, it's not a cap, rather "fair usage".

Right, this is what I'm looking for;
- 512Kb to 1Mb service, unmetered!
- Text newsgroups
- Email
- Large amount of webspace (including cgi and php)
- No disabling of P2P ports

I've seen Eclipse, Nildram, NDO and Zen with very good ratings on adslguide,
and while UK Online's 8Mb service looks great, I'm presuming its delivery is
as a subset of EasyNet so its rating can be drawn from them.

What's the general view of these providers?

Whichever you pick, if you intend to use large amounts of bandwidth (say over
140GB a month, which was what plusnets last 'cap' was), it's likely that you
will soon face the same problem.

The root cause is that BT charge an extortionate amount for data transfer.
If the ISP wants to run at a profit, and remain competitive, they have
little choice.

(things may be different for non ADSL, and ISPs that don't use BTs network
for data transfer)

The profit an ISP is making can easily be worked out from the BT price list.
Old January 27th 05, 08:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Ian Stirling wrote:
Trent SC wrote:
Time to look for a new ISP now that PlusNet has introduced a cap on
their ADSL services. Sorry, it's not a cap, rather "fair usage".

Right, this is what I'm looking for;
- 512Kb to 1Mb service, unmetered!
- Text newsgroups
- Email
- Large amount of webspace (including cgi and php)
- No disabling of P2P ports

I've seen Eclipse, Nildram, NDO and Zen with very good ratings on
adslguide, and while UK Online's 8Mb service looks great, I'm
presuming its delivery is as a subset of EasyNet so its rating can
be drawn from them.

What's the general view of these providers?

Whichever you pick, if you intend to use large amounts of bandwidth
(say over 140GB a month, which was what plusnets last 'cap' was),
it's likely that you will soon face the same problem.

The problem is that Plusnet's limitation/cap or what ever you want to call
it, is gradually creeping lower, even as we speak. I have seen figures
starting at 70GB.

Add that to the fact that they don't provide an in house way measuring your
downloads, it's starting to look very messy (& I didn't think I'd be saying
that a month a go)...

Old January 27th 05, 09:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dr Teeth

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 20:58:00 -0000, "kraftee" [email protected]&
die.com wrote:

Add that to the fact that they don't provide an in house way measuring your
downloads,

They do have this, https://portal.f9.net.uk/view_my_broadband_usage/

It includes uploads too as does their usage figures.
--
Cheers,

Guy

Old January 27th 05, 10:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MM

"Trent SC" wrote in message
Time to look for a new ISP now that PlusNet has introduced a cap on their
ADSL services. Sorry, it's not a cap, rather "fair usage".

Right, this is what I'm looking for;
- 512Kb to 1Mb service, unmetered!
- Text newsgroups
- Email
- Large amount of webspace (including cgi and php)
- No disabling of P2P ports

I've seen Eclipse, Nildram, NDO and Zen with very good ratings on
adslguide, and while UK Online's 8Mb service looks great, I'm presuming
its delivery is as a subset of EasyNet so its rating can be drawn from
them.

What's the general view of these providers?

I'm off to Zen. Free migration at the moment, 1 month contract, uncapped &
supposedly 1 month retention on binaries. Slightly more expensive for the
1mb service (34.99) but can have static IPs etc.

Very efficiet migration process, sent them my MAC key, process starting &
progressing within an hour!

Mark

Old January 27th 05, 10:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Ian Stirling wrote:
Trent SC wrote:
[...]

"View my usage" works (generally) for me.
Old January 27th 05, 10:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Their line checker showed me as
being unable to get adsl which wasn't too impressive 'cos I've got a 1 meg
service from Plusnet.

The line checker simply looks at the BT records. BT will show it as not
available if you already have ADSL on the line. Not down to Pipex at all.

Old January 27th 05, 10:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BIGEYE

I migrated from PN to Zen a couple of days ago, got my confirmation today,
will be coupled up to Zen on 2/2/05.
Main reason I am moving from PN is their unreliable news server.

Old January 27th 05, 11:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 19:48:12 -0000, "Trent SC"
wrote:

Time to look for a new ISP now that PlusNet has introduced a cap on their
ADSL services. Sorry, it's not a cap, rather "fair usage".

Right, this is what I'm looking for;
- 512Kb to 1Mb service, unmetered!
- Text newsgroups
- Email
- Large amount of webspace (including cgi and php)
- No disabling of P2P ports

Why not wait and see?

Plusnet have not introduced the cap yet, they are currently
"consulting" on what levels to set them at.

They undoubtedly are going to do so, but if your usage never gets
anywhere near the capped amounts (which you won't know until they tell
us just what the limits will be), then why leave?

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Plagiarism prohibited, derive carefully.