Can't access bt newsgroups from plusnet

Old January 28th 05, 07:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pascal Herczog

Default Can't access bt newsgroups from plusnet

I have recently got broadband via Plusnet, but was used to accessing certain
newsgroups via dial-up to BT, that don't appear to be available directly via
Plusnet. Example, alt.autos.peugeot .

I haven't changed any settings on my OE mail account settings for accessing
news.btinternet.com, but I now cannot access any of their newsgroups via
Plusnet.

Is this meant to be possible, or not? If so, what is needed?

Thanks,
Pascal.

Old January 28th 05, 07:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spin Dryer

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 19:35:18 -0000, [Pascal Herczog] said :-

I have recently got broadband via Plusnet, but was used to accessing certain
newsgroups via dial-up to BT, that don't appear to be available directly via
Plusnet. Example, alt.autos.peugeot .

I haven't changed any settings on my OE mail account settings for accessing
news.btinternet.com, but I now cannot access any of their newsgroups via
Plusnet.

Is this meant to be possible, or not? If so, what is needed?

You can't login to another ISP's news server when connected to another
ISP.

Old January 28th 05, 07:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

"Pascal Herczog" wrote in
:

I haven't changed any settings on my OE mail account settings for
accessing news.btinternet.com, but I now cannot access any of their
newsgroups via Plusnet.

You cannot access BT's news servers unless you are connected through BT.
You must use either a public news server or the PlusNet new server
(news.plus.net)

The group you mentions is there on news.plus.net.

--
Colin
Old January 28th 05, 07:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MA

Spin Dryer wrote:

You can't login to another ISP's news server when connected to another
ISP.

Some you can, with authentication, but those are usually the ones you pay
for. There are some free news servers though.

Old January 28th 05, 07:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim

wrote:

I have recently got broadband via Plusnet, but was used to accessing certain
newsgroups via dial-up to BT, that don't appear to be available directly via
Plusnet. Example, alt.autos.peugeot .

I haven't changed any settings on my OE mail account settings for accessing
news.btinternet.com, but I now cannot access any of their newsgroups via
Plusnet.

Is this meant to be possible, or not? If so, what is needed?

Thanks,
Pascal.

Not possible I'm afraid.

The bt* newsgroups (ie btopenworld.broadband.support etc etc) are only
visible to those connecting via a BT connection.

Don't think that even Google carries them.

HTH

Jim
Old January 28th 05, 08:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

MA wrote:
Spin Dryer wrote:

You can't login to another ISP's news server when connected to
another ISP.

Some you can, with authentication, but those are usually the ones
you pay for. There are some free news servers though.

news.individual.net

Ivor

Old January 28th 05, 09:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Pascal Herczog wrote:

I have recently got broadband via Plusnet, but was used to accessing
certain newsgroups via dial-up to BT, that don't appear to be
available directly via Plusnet. Example, alt.autos.peugeot .

I haven't changed any settings on my OE mail account settings for
accessing news.btinternet.com, but I now cannot access any of their
newsgroups via Plusnet.

Is this meant to be possible, or not? If so, what is needed?

Thanks,
Pascal.

Let's start again. Most of the answers given so far have been misleading, at
best.

Most news servers will carry popular newsgroups like alt.autos.peugeot - as
indeed PlusNet do. The problem is that you *haven't* changed you account
settings in OE because you *need* to.

In order to access newsgroups while connected to PlusNet, you need to use
PlusNet's news server. So you need to change news.btinternet.com to
usenet.plus.net - and then re-subscribe to the groups of your choice.

As an alternative, you might consider using a third-party news server such
as news.individual.net (based at Berlin University). Then there's less
hassle in future if you change ISPs.

As others have pointed out, each ISP has a few support newsgroups which are
*not* carried elsewhere - but that shouldn't be a problem. For example,
before moving to PlusNet I was with Freeserve. They have some support groups
which are only accessible when directly logged into a Freeserve (now
Wanadoo) server - so I can't get them either on the PlusNet or
news.individual.net servers. But it doesn't really matter - I no longer need
their support! You will probably find the same with groups which are
specific to BT.

HTH.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old January 28th 05, 09:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 28/01/2005 Spin Dryer wrote:

You can't login to another ISP's news server when connected to another
ISP.

And, as I discovered when BT were my ISP (BT Midband), you can't login
to BT's news server even if they are your ISP :-)

--
Jeff Gaines
Posted with XanaNews 1.17.1.2
Old January 28th 05, 10:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Bannister

In message
"Pascal Herczog" wrote:

I have recently got broadband via Plusnet, but was used to accessing certain
newsgroups via dial-up to BT, that don't appear to be available directly via
Plusnet. Example, alt.autos.peugeot .

This group is certainly available on the news.plus.net server.

I haven't changed any settings on my OE mail account settings for accessing
news.btinternet.com, but I now cannot access any of their newsgroups via
Plusnet.

It is not unusual for ISPs to have news groups that are private to those
customers logged into their network. You probably can't get Plusnet groups
via BT servers either.

Logging into ISPs own news servers without being connected to their network
is also often blocked. This means that there will often be some groups that
you can never get. I cannot log onto the BT server you mention above and
couldn't use the freeuk one either so had to change over.

Ian..
Old January 28th 05, 10:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pascal Herczog

"Ian Bannister" wrote in message
In message
"Pascal Herczog" wrote:

I have recently got broadband via Plusnet, but was used to accessing
certain
newsgroups via dial-up to BT, that don't appear to be available directly
via
Plusnet. Example, alt.autos.peugeot .

This group is certainly available on the news.plus.net server.

Thanks to everyone - As a result I decided to try resetting my plusnet
newsgroup listing and hey presto, it came up. Excellent.

Pascal