xp home problem o/t

Old January 28th 05, 09:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
marky

Default xp home problem o/t

Hope someone can help

Purchased the laptop with XP Home preinstalled with a backup cd - however
the backup cd got damaged, and now I have to reinstall xp home

I had a few copies of OEM and Retail (xp home) but the serial key on the
rear of the laptop says its not valid - anyone know which version of xp home
may work ?

cheers in advance

Marky

Old January 28th 05, 09:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tickettyboo

In ,
marky whispered softly in my ear...:
Hope someone can help

Purchased the laptop with XP Home preinstalled with a backup cd -
however the backup cd got damaged, and now I have to reinstall xp home

I had a few copies of OEM and Retail (xp home) but the serial key on
the rear of the laptop says its not valid - anyone know which version
of xp home may work ?

cheers in advance

Stab in the dark, but maybe the key on the back of the pc is for a SP1
( or SP2) enabled version of XP. You could try making an install disc
from a plain vanilla cd of XP and slipstream the relevant SP into it.
Instructions here :
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...slipstream.asp

I really have no idea if that will do it, but it may be worth a shot?

--
Ticketty▀║║