Firewalls

Old January 29th 05, 02:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Reg Edwards

Default Firewalls

Its all new to me. I'm on BTBroadband, Windows98, OE6 and IE.

I don't have a firewall.

What symptoms could I expect to suffer from if I was in need of a firewall?
---
Reg.

Old January 29th 05, 03:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Morgoth

"Reg Edwards" wrote in message
Its all new to me. I'm on BTBroadband, Windows98, OE6 and IE.

I don't have a firewall.

What symptoms could I expect to suffer from if I was in need of a
firewall?
---
Reg.

Leave your front door open go out and see what happens, this is exactly what
you are doing each time you go on the net without a firewall

Old January 29th 05, 04:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Reg Edwards wrote:
Its all new to me. I'm on BTBroadband, Windows98, OE6 and IE.

I don't have a firewall.

What symptoms could I expect to suffer from if I was in need of a
firewall? ---
Reg.

Anything from nothing at all (if you're reasonably lucky) to a genral
slowing down of your intentional usage to a complete stop of all intentional
usage (your resources will be being used for other things)....

Recently visited such as person as you, problem was no internet access.
Discovered that every address put in the address bar, including basic IP
adresses, were being corrupted, did a MSConfig a found that they had lots of
processes I haven't seen for a very long time, a few which I have never seen
before &, off course the good old porn/premium rate diallers in there as
well.

Now a properly configured firewall would warn you about anything wanting to
access the internet so you would get a warning if something you didn't know
about was trying to access but you also need an up to date (& constantly
updated as well, which is equallly important) anti virus program to help
stop such things getting into your machine in the first place.

One goes hand in glove with the other

Old January 29th 05, 11:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Free downloads you may consider looking at:

I`d also suggest a couple of other things to help lock your system down -
if you feel your system is currently "safe" (might be worth scanning
anyway, but...)

Spybot Search & Destroy (similar to Adaware) - I have a few newbie level
setup tips for this on my site - http://www.phoenixbbs.co.uk
http://security.kolla.de

SpywareBlaster (locks down lots of activex exploits)
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com

Remember to update both of the above, as a lot of updates will have been
released since the installer went online. Once you have your system
locked down, you shouldn`t really need to run these more than every
couple of months, just to update and confirm peace of mind :-)

CWShredder (you should only need this once) - i`ve put this on my own
webspace now as it disappeared from the site I normally point people to
has removed it
http://www.phoenixbbs.co.uk/CWShredder159.exe

Also - it might be worth trying one of the "other" browsers like Firefox
or Opera and trying to use that as your main browser for as much of the
time as possible - some badly written sites still only work with IE, but
thankfully they`re not as common as they used to be.

Old January 29th 05, 12:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Conor

In article , Reg Edwards says...
Its all new to me. I'm on BTBroadband, Windows98, OE6 and IE.

I don't have a firewall.

What symptoms could I expect to suffer from if I was in need of a firewall?

Without a firewall your PC is open to attack from the internet. Any
script kiddie can take advantage of any security hole and get access to
your PC.

--
Conor

-- George Patton
Old January 29th 05, 12:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Reg Edwards" wrote in message
Its all new to me. I'm on BTBroadband, Windows98, OE6 and IE.

I don't have a firewall.

What symptoms could I expect to suffer from if I was in need of a

firewall?
---
Reg.

I recently read that it only takes twenty minutes for a unprotected computer
(missing firewall, anti virus and anti spyware) with a Internet connection
to become infected.

It may already have occured. The authors of such malware ought to be made to
recompense the costs incurred.

Andy.

Old January 29th 05, 02:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

It may already have occured. The authors of such malware ought to be made
to recompense the costs incurred.

Andy.

How are you going to do that ?. Ask MS for compensation, afterall their OS
allows this to happen.

DAve

again
in the future!!
Old January 30th 05, 12:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Dave Stanton" wrote in message
news

It may already have occured. The authors of such malware ought to be

made
to recompense the costs incurred.

Andy.

How are you going to do that ?. Ask MS for compensation, afterall their OS
allows this to happen.

DAve

again
in the future!!

Microsoft write code that generally works fine. Idiots come along and try to
find ways to break it / explot it, of course we can't trace every piece of
malcicous code back to the author but those who we are able to trace should
be responsible for the costs incurred in fixing the problems their code
caused.

Old January 30th 05, 03:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
martin

Reg Edwards wrote:
Its all new to me. I'm on BTBroadband, Windows98, OE6 and IE.

I don't have a firewall.

What symptoms could I expect to suffer from if I was in need of a firewall?
---
Reg.

you might not like it....

My advice to anyone who has been on the internet without a firewall is
to start again, complete re-install and put in a firewall before trying
again.

sorry.

My rekoning is 5 mins before being compromised, and if it takes 30 mins
to remove each virus/trojan etc you're better or starting from scratch
and learning from it

yes, I'll do the removals, but I'd prefer to archive and start again
with a restore poin