NETGEAR DG834G v2 / WG311 lifespan.

Old January 29th 05, 04:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
chipshop

Default NETGEAR DG834G v2 / WG311 lifespan.

Greetings all...

You know how it is. You buy an expensive piece of kit and practically as
soon as you have it up and running, the manufacturer goes and releases a
'new and improved' version..and you're left with obsolete kit again.

With the router, 2 x pci cards and 'adsl quality' phone cable..I'm
looking at roughly £140!!

How much of it's 'lifespan', in your learned opinions, do you think the
NETGEAR DG834G v2 / WG311 combo has left?

Ta muchness...

chipshop
Old January 29th 05, 04:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 16:32:12 +0000, chipshop
wrote:

How much of it's 'lifespan', in your learned opinions, do you think the
NETGEAR DG834G v2 / WG311 combo has left?

6 months, Belkin have "pre N" kit in stores now so another wireless
standard is in the offing.

However it'll work for 10 years, it just won't be the latest model.

Phil

Old January 29th 05, 05:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 16:32:12 +0000, chipshop wrote:

How much of it's 'lifespan', in your learned opinions, do you think the
NETGEAR DG834G v2 / WG311 combo has left?

By DG834G v2 I assume you me the standard 11g wireless router, but in the
white rather than silver case?

The unit will work for as long as you like, but will be outdated very
quickly, and in some respects already is. That said my DVD/VHS combi was
withdrawn a week after I bought it, my digital camera, only bought in
September, is now also obselete, as is my digital camcorder bought less
than 18 months ago and my Acer laptop (upon which I am typing this message)
which is less than a year old. It would appear my DECT landline phone is
now also discontinued and my mobile is not likely to be around much longer
either. I could go on but I think you get the point.... :-)

Nevertheless, I expect all these devices to continue to work for some time
to come.
Old January 29th 05, 05:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter R Cook

In message , chipshop
writes
Greetings all...

You know how it is. You buy an expensive piece of kit and practically
as soon as you have it up and running, the manufacturer goes and
releases a 'new and improved' version..and you're left with obsolete
kit again.

With the router, 2 x pci cards and 'adsl quality' phone cable..I'm
looking at roughly £140!!

How much of it's 'lifespan', in your learned opinions, do you think the
NETGEAR DG834G v2 / WG311 combo has left?

Ta muchness...

chipshop

Depends on what you mean by lifespan. If you mean how long will they be
current product - not long. 6 months to a year at best guess.

How long will the do the job they are designed for - probably
indefinitely.

How long will they meet your needs - that depends on your needs

My PC (dual PIII 1GHz + SCSI discs) is now 5 Years old, and I got most
of the components second-hand from newsgroups even then. I have added
second hand discs to increase storage - but it still does everything I
need.

One laptop is four years old, one three. (Both have had E-bay sourced
disk upgrades). Only problem with those is battery life - but Li-ion
batteries are a consumable item.

ADSL is unlikely to get replaced in the next five years. The WG311 will
link to the 834G much faster than ADSL - so I am expecting my pair to
last at least five years - the main life expiry is likely to be the
WG311 - a future laptop may not have a PCMCIA slot, but will probably
come with 11g built in.

Hope this helps
--
Peter R Cook
Old January 29th 05, 06:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

"chipshop" wrote in message
Greetings all...

You know how it is. You buy an expensive piece of kit and practically as
soon as you have it up and running, the manufacturer goes and releases a
'new and improved' version..and you're left with obsolete kit again.

With the router, 2 x pci cards and 'adsl quality' phone cable..I'm looking
at roughly £140!!

How much of it's 'lifespan', in your learned opinions, do you think the
NETGEAR DG834G v2 / WG311 combo has left?

Ta muchness...

chipshop

My understanding is that Netgear have committed to provide firmware to
enable ADSL2+ on the DG834 range, so it should last into the next expected
broadband technology update.

David.