Internet anking and internet security

Old January 29th 05, 05:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Furby

Default Internet anking and internet security

Should be a simple question but I doubt there's a simple answer

I am thinking of doing internet banking, how ever I am worried about the
possibilities on my PC being compromised and then the passwords being stolen
by key loggers.

I already run regularly updated spy ware & antivirus software.

Windows is fully patched

I run two firewalls, one on the router and also pc based ones.

I don't use IE.

I of course regularly change my strong passwords.

Are there any other measures which can be taken (apart from switching to a
hardened Linux)?

Old January 29th 05, 05:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pete devlin

In message , Furby
writes
Are there any other measures which can be taken (apart from switching
to a hardened Linux)?

Get yourself a single soundproofed bedroom just in case you talk in your
sleep!
--
Pete Devlin
"Mind the oranges Marlon!"
Old January 29th 05, 06:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

Furby wrote:
Should be a simple question but I doubt there's a simple answer

I am thinking of doing internet banking, how ever I am worried
about the possibilities on my PC being compromised and then the
passwords being stolen by key loggers.

I already run regularly updated spy ware & antivirus software.

Windows is fully patched

I run two firewalls, one on the router and also pc based ones.

I don't use IE.

I of course regularly change my strong passwords.

Are there any other measures which can be taken (apart from
switching to a hardened Linux)?

As long as you ensure that the site you are using is secure (https and
that its security certificate is current and valid, plus you have
configured your firewall correctly, you should be ok.

I've used the Lloyds TSB site for a couple of years now and so far
(fingers crossed..!) I've had no problems.

Ivor

Old January 29th 05, 06:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick Shaw

"Furby" wrote in message
Should be a simple question but I doubt there's a simple answer

I am thinking of doing internet banking, how ever I am worried about the
possibilities on my PC being compromised and then the passwords being
stolen
by key loggers.

I already run regularly updated spy ware & antivirus software.

Windows is fully patched

I run two firewalls, one on the router and also pc based ones.

I don't use IE.

I of course regularly change my strong passwords.

Are there any other measures which can be taken (apart from switching to a
hardened Linux)?

My bank (Barclays) uses combo-boxes for sensitive information, so key
loggers cannot get the data.

HTH

Nick

Old January 29th 05, 06:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

I am thinking of doing internet banking, how ever I am worried about the
possibilities on my PC being compromised and then the passwords being stolen
by key loggers.
I already run regularly updated spy ware & antivirus software.
Windows is fully patched
I run two firewalls, one on the router and also pc based ones.
I don't use IE.
I of course regularly change my strong passwords.

Our work here is done :-)

Sounds like you`re savvy enough to know if there`s an obvious problem, so
i`d get stuck in and do your banking online. Your firewall should alert
you if something is trying to send out data without permission.

Old January 29th 05, 07:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham Murray

"Ivor Jones" writes:

As long as you ensure that the site you are using is secure (https and
that its security certificate is current and valid, plus you have
configured your firewall correctly, you should be ok.

While I would sincerely hope that banks 'do the right thing', it is
not unknown for sites to use https which gives secure transmission but
then store the data insecurely and/or send the contents of forms via
unencrypted email from the web host to their office (for example
online orders)
Old January 30th 05, 08:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

Nick Shaw wrote:

I am thinking of doing internet banking, how ever I am worried about the
possibilities on my PC being compromised and then the passwords being
stolen
by key loggers.

My bank (Barclays) uses combo-boxes for sensitive information, so key
loggers cannot get the data.

They do and I use it myself - but always look to see who is filming me :-)
Old January 30th 05, 08:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 18:29:07 -0000, Colin Wilson wrote:

I am thinking of doing internet banking, how ever I am worried about the
possibilities on my PC being compromised and then the passwords being stolen
by key loggers.
I already run regularly updated spy ware & antivirus software.
Windows is fully patched
I run two firewalls, one on the router and also pc based ones.
I don't use IE.
I of course regularly change my strong passwords.

Our work here is done :-)

Sounds like you`re savvy enough to know if there`s an obvious problem, so
i`d get stuck in and do your banking online. Your firewall should alert
you if something is trying to send out data without permission.

Not mentioned, but it might be significant in so much that the banking system you connect to may not
have full functionality unless Internet Explorer is used.

David Bradley

Old January 30th 05, 09:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

Not mentioned, but it might be significant in so much that the banking
system you connect to may not have full functionality unless Internet
Explorer is used.

David Bradley

Yeah, lots of lazy web site designers around !!

Dave

again
in the future!!