50 pounds signup fee

Old January 29th 05, 06:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
six-toes

Default 50 pounds signup fee

do they all charge this fee or is there a way to sign up free ?

Old January 29th 05, 06:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CheggersPop

do they all charge this fee or is there a way to sign up free ?

You tend to find as a 'general' rule that if a company waiver the initial
50 sign-up fee, they required you to sign up to a 12 month contract! I'm
sure someone will find great pleasure in proving this is incorrect by
posting a link to some obscure ISP, such as AOL , but this is what I found
when deciding who to go with!

(".)

Old January 29th 05, 09:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

AOL. Obscure?

In my case obscured by a crucifix held at arms length!

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old January 29th 05, 09:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 19:31:38 -0000, Tx2
wrote:

AOL. Obscure?

yes, if you put "definebscure" into Google I thnk you'll find a
number of appropriate descriptions of the way America OnLine provides
its services in the UK.

AOL has never been exactly "standard" in its approach.

Phil

Old January 29th 05, 09:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 29 Jan 2005 10:30:34 -0800, "six-toes"
wrote:

do they all charge this fee or is there a way to sign up free ?

Virgin dont and dont have a 12 month contract HOWEVER they might now
be providing service bya datastream which means you cant migrate to
another supplier.

Old January 29th 05, 10:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill

six-toes wrote:

do they all charge this fee or is there a way to sign up free ?

[1] free: adj.
7 a (OED definition) available without charge; costing nothing.
7 b (when used in relation to an ADSL package) costing as much over a
year as paying it up front and continuing to be charged thereafter for ever.

As BT charge the ISP 50 for plugging your phone line across into the
DSLAM in the exchange and the rest of the setup it has to be paid for
somehow. If not charged upfront the ISP will want to ensure it will be
recovered over time. Hence the general rule of '12 months at 20' for a
15 service. If lucky it will go down to the 15 after a year.
Other variants exist of course: lock-ins, early termination penalties
etc but they all reflect the same issue. Some ISP's will just gamble on
it averaging out.

Bill

Old January 29th 05, 10:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
six-toes

i dont need an always on connection as i am a low user and have fast
connection at work ,so just a cheapo outfit is all i require for
occasional evening use . now i have just an evening dialup which suits
me fine , but onetel is getting really bad with the dropped lines and
constantly out of service mail server , so i will have to ditch them
soon.
looks like i will have to sort thru net4nowt

Old January 29th 05, 11:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 22:16:50 -0000, Mugwump wrote:

In article ,
says...
wrote:

do they all charge this fee or is there a way to sign up free ?

Virgin dont and dont have a 12 month contract HOWEVER they might now
be providing service bya datastream which means you cant migrate to
another supplier.

Nope IPstream and they support migration in both directions

Thats what I though too but apparently things have changed since the
NTL buy out I might have droped a clanger here and got my bro signed
up on datastream