Thinking of moving home and wondering how to check if a area is broadband enabled and what are the alternatives to broadbad....

Old January 30th 05, 12:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Just Wondering

Default Thinking of moving home and wondering how to check if a area is broadband enabled and what are the alternatives to broadbad....

I'm currently enjoying broadband , but have been considering moving home,
what alternatives to broadband is there for a none broadband area ? is it
just isdn or is satelite a real alternative ? and how much are is isdn etc.

or is britian truely broadband ?

whats the best way to check a area is broadband enabled ?

Old January 30th 05, 02:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 00:25:31 GMT, "Just Wondering"
wrote:

I'm currently enjoying broadband , but have been considering moving home,
what alternatives to broadband is there for a none broadband area ? is it
just isdn or is satelite a real alternative ? and how much are is isdn etc.

or is britian truely broadband ?

whats the best way to check a area is broadband enabled ?

Put the postcode into the BT broadband checker (assuming you don't
know the telephone number)

If you are moving to somewhere urban, it will almost certainly be
enabled..
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
I wouldn't touch the Metric System with a 3.048m pole!

Old January 30th 05, 03:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Just Wondering:

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/index.php

--
Current Items For Sale: http://www.bextech.me.uk/forsale
Free Calendar: http://www.bextech.me.uk/calendar

Old January 30th 05, 08:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gel

wireless:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?ie=UT...less+broadband

Old January 30th 05, 03:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wade

"Just Wondering" wrote in message
I'm currently enjoying broadband , but have been considering moving home,
what alternatives to broadband is there for a none broadband area ? is it
just isdn or is satelite a real alternative ? and how much are is isdn

etc.

For many users these do not offer satisfactory alternatives to ADSL or Cable
Broadband. 64K ISDN is a lot slower that even 256k Broadband. Getting an ISP
that supports channell bonding used to be hard and expensive.. Note that if
you can't get Broadband you may not be able to get ISDN either.
Have a look at http://www.bt.com/btmidband/hm_presale.jsp for BTs solution.
(note the 97% of population, about the same as BT Broadband).
(prices are on this page).

Satelite is not a good alternative for browsing. The log delay means pages
are slow to load. Most systems incorperate some kind of cace to speed up
access.

or is britian truely broadband ?

Its pretty good. "Most" homes can get it, but there are situations where it
may not be available, (Aluminium cables, TPON, DACS and no free pairs), no
exchange capacity...

whats the best way to check a area is broadband enabled ?

You need to check the house you want to buy because even if its in a BB
enabled area there may be things that stop that house getting it.
You need the existing phone number and postcode. Stick them into any one of
the ISP's BB checkers,,,,,